Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tuesday's Lookingglass.....

Through the Lookingglass.....

Hello, such a long time between posts and saying hello. I will tell you this, straight up. It is easier to blog about food when there is a large family to cook for. With your family still at home, you always need food to feed someone and by the very nature of that, have blog material ready and waiting.

Oh yes we eat. We eat delicious food, like homemade bread, homemade jams, lots of fresh fruit, homemade granola, hot dishes for our evening meal along with a variety beans. We are big bean fans here. But with a small family or a couple like us, there are leftovers. We love leftovers, but alas leftovers do not offer "new" food to blog about.

As soon as space is available in the freezer, one of these will hit the stove!

What we have been doing is rearranging the house, both the living room and the family room. We replaced out standard couches (in each room) with reclining love seats. Ahhh, comfort is ours!

Morning coffee, is more delicious when seated, feet up, holding hands and slowly sipping.....

And we have been grinding our own flour to make our own whole wheat bread. I have pretty much found our everyday bread, so the fun begins as we move on to a little variety. I am thinking Whole Wheat Oat Maple Walnut bread sounds good too!


Also there were kitchen cabinets to retro-fit sliding drawers, on each shelf. Being organized is so much easier and lets not even mention retrieving that item in the "way back". Which is now not a problem. You just pull the "way back" out, where it is handy!


We also had to make the difficult decision to give up our dog. Not an easy one, to say the least. But best for all concerned. Sometimes not enough is known about a rescue shelter animal, and bonding simply does not happen. Hoping that all is wonderful for Copper with his new family.


I did start a fun project on January 1, my own version of PROJECT 365. Although I am not a photographer, I do love to look at my world and possibly see it in a different light. Terry and I are having fun with this and beginning to take our little camera with us when out and about.

And somebody, who is always begging for treats, has also been nibbling on my roses.....









There has been wood to stack.





And libraries to visit, my pile on the coffee table is of course cookbooks.......
Another change is the French Postcard inspired Slipper Chairs to the left. Not just for looks, they are also very comfortable. 

I am trying to develop new recipes, using my many years of experience and this has been fun. I have a couple in the works right now, Chicken Picadillo and a Zesty Green Olive vinaigrette over Roasted Red Peppers. When total success is achieved I will share them here. 

But this morning before leaving for work, I need to load the crockpot with chicken and vegetables, my menfolk are getting that awful virus going around and nourishing chicken soup is on our menu for tonight, with extra broth for sipping until better health is in sight.

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. We appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

6 comments:

Holly said...

I just love how cozy and comfortable your house looks. I could sit there with my feet up and eat homemade soup all day. Especially with a side of warm bread. My bread is rising as we speak. Nothing is better than smelling homemade bread baking while the house gets a quick clean up. Hope your menfolk feel better. With grub like that, they should be on their feet in no time.

Holly said...

I also forget to mention your slide outs, love them! Don't you just wonder how we got by without them for so long?

Pam said...

I need to do my cabinets like that! Was it difficult?

Sage Trifle said...

You have created such a pretty and enjoyable home.

Kat said...

Everytime I have have to drag out the large cast iron dutch oven, I have to get down on my knees (ouch) and crawl half way in the cupboard to retrieve it. I don't use it often.
I love how you have made your new home your own. I love you choice of chairs too. And, that is exactly what I do when someone around here starts getting sick, Chicken soup, the cure-all! Nice post.

Kat said...

After looking close up at the photos, wanted to comment on how you display the Flag and other stuff in the frame. Very nice. Also I love the wall clock. And the chairs with words on it.