Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sharing the view....

Saturday's view.....

I was just an OK mom, and now I am just an OK grandma. I have probably also been just an OK wife, employee, sister, friend and daughter. Not one to feel the need to be in the spotlight, or have the last say. But today, now many years later, while I don't necessarily want the spotlight, I want and need to have a say.

The following commentary is my own, not meant to offend or be outrageous. But honestly meant to inspire a thought or two.

Thank you, Melynda.

There has been a shift in our culture. True, it started many years ago, but it appears to keep establishing a new boundary for the day, only to have yet another boundary established, just a little further out from the last. People, please can we just stop?



Stop what?



In a nutshell, competing. Competing to be outrageous or get the most attention by displaying bad behavior or worse engaging others to prove your worth as being the most outrageous.



Can we as a group be content with being happy? Or must we be excited and entertained at all moments throughout the day and most of the night?



Can we have some modesty regarding how much of our lives we share in excessive detail? Or must we tweet, facebook and call the world constantly and let them know we just broke up again this week, ate half a burger and threw the rest away or even that we need to find a bathroom to hurl?



Can we simply wear clothes?  Or must we share our rude comments and jokes on our fabric billboards, for all to see and comment on, so that we can tweet, facebook or call the world to complain that someone actually took exception with our display?



Can we return phone calls to a private behavior? Or must we wear a bluetooth and talk to everyone while we do everything, looking like we are out of control with our own life?



Can we keep cell phones in a convenient, easily assessable location? Or must we have one hand always holding a phone while we have only a small portion of ourselves engaged in any other activity than texting, calling or gaming?



Can we be mature adults, who will need to be successful taking responsibility for ourselves?



Can we eat a meal and talk to each other instead of texting, calling or gaming?



Can we realize that we can have it all, we just can’t have it all right now because life come in stages so that you can master and enjoy each one?



Can we take a car ride or trip without the need to watch a movie instead of enjoying the journey, or reading a book?



Can we see that constantly being “plugged in”, outrageous and competitive actually interferes with observing, learning and being human?


Please, can we stop now? Pretty please........

As always, thank you for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time.


7 comments:

Holly said...

That is the "okayist" post I've read in a long time. Seriously, this is an issue that is near and dear to my heart. Let's live in the moment, enjoying one another and living a simpler life. Amen, my friend!

Sage Trifle said...

I often wonder if people realize they are being rude. I don't think manners and deportment, along with why they matter, are being taught at home nor at school any more. So I guess people don't know. I don't think it is going to stop. But I'm just an old fogey so what do I know?

I'm just grateful to have a quiet mind; that I am content keeping thoughts to myself. That I can be happy staring out the window at the rain. That I am not a slave to the phone and don't stop what I am doing to rush for it's ring. I don't twit.

It makes me tired just watching all that "busy-ness" people create around themselves. No wonder people are "stressed".

Kat said...

It is a sad state, indeed. Well said.

Handy Andy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Handy Andy said...

Thanks for being part of the sane and the lovely. We appreciate you!

Laurie Mcknight said...

the best post have read today, if we could only,

Kitchen Belleicious said...

well said! I am pretty sure you weren't just an okay mom but a great mom:)