Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Whole Wheat Raisin Walnut Bread

Our local Costco has stopped carrying the whole wheat raisin bread. It was a surprise to me, because it was delicious, and seemed to go along with the trend in organic, whole grain products that fill more and more shelf space at Costco. It was also disappointing, for this toast on the way to work, breakfast eater.

I have not been as successful with whole grain home baking as I would like. While I love the idea of whole grain foods, I still want them soft and flavorful. Then a couple of years ago I discovered and started using Spelt flour and that has made a big difference in the whole grain baking around here. So, lets make some shall we?

My husband made this bread, his first venture in bread baking, but not his last, I assure you! In this house we usually make one loaf of bread at a time, using a bread machine and the dough cycle. Once the dough cycle is over, the dough is deflated, shaped and place into a prepared loaf pan. The bread is given an additional rise, and baked in a standard loaf in the oven. The extra rise adds flavor and around here, it is all about taste.

 Yes that is the dog in the upper corner of this photo, wondering if he is going to get a slice. 

Whole Wheat Raisin Walnut Bread
adapted from:  Electric Bread, second edition
350 degree oven
makes 1 loaf

Layer in a bread machine in the following order:

1 1/4 c water
2 T butter
2 T honey
1 T molasses
3 1/2 c whole wheat flour, we use spelt flour
2 T dry milk
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 T gluten
1 T (or 1 package) yeast

Process on dough cycle. When done, add

1 1/2 c raisins
1 c walnut pieces

Restart machine and run for 3-5 minutes to knead in the raisins and walnut pieces. This will also prepare the dough for a quick shaping into a log or loaf shape.

Place in a prepared loaf pan, let rise until doubled in bulk. Or, you can place covered in the refrigerator for an overnight rise and bake the next day.


When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350, bake 25-35 minutes or until done in your oven.

Enjoy!

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. We appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

this post shared with:
hearth and soul @ premeditated leftovers
full plate thursdays @ miz helen's



6 comments:

Holly said...

Looks great and I love to use my bread machine for the dough cycle also.

Sage Trifle said...

Yum. Raisin Bread. Looks delicious.

Reeni Pisano said...

What a delicious loaf of bread! I bough a bag of spelt flour to try and there is sits, lonely and unopened. This is inspiration.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda and Terry,
Your Whole Wheat Raisin Walnut Bread looks delicious, I know we would just love it! Thank you so much for celebrating TWO YEARS with FULL PLATE THURSDAY, I appreciate your visit!
Come Back Soon
Miz Helen

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

Lovely bread recipe, Melynda. I like the addition of the molasses. It must give the bread a wonderful flavour.

Alea Milham said...

Your Raisin Walnut bread looks great! Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop. I’ve pinned it to my Pinterest board.