Monday, January 21, 2013

Spelt berry blender pancakes

It is funny, in that we bought a grain mill, but the first whole grain recipe tried - used the blender........


Spelt Berry Blender Pancakes
makes 8-10 small cakes
adapted from:  Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Next time we are buying the 25# bag.....
1 c spelt berries
1 c milk OR buttermilk
additional 1/2 c milk
2 t sugar
3/4 t salt
1 T baking powder
2 eggs
4 T melted butter

Blend the berries and the 1 c milk for 3 minutes ( spelt may be harder than wheat, I will blend longer next time), scraping the sides of the blender cup, if needed. 

Add the sugar, salt, baking powder along with the remaining milk, blend until smooth. Add eggs, blend well. Add melted butter, blend again. Cook batter on prepared griddle. 



These are sooo good, we will make them again and again. I have been searching for a whole grain pancake recipe for so long, and now have found one. However here are some notes from my observations.

You must either blend the batter between batches, because the bran settles. 

My batter was thin, which led me to believe that I need to blend this grain type longer for a thicker batter, and possibly the above will not happen.....

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a minute to stop and say hello. We appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

this post is shared with:
hearth and soul @ premeditated leftovers
wfmw @ we are that family


3 comments:

Sage Trifle said...

Those delicious looking pancakes make me hungry.

Candace said...

I love these healthy pancakes!

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

Your spelt pancakes sound delicious! I've read so much about spelt, and how good it is for you, I'm looking at ways to use it more. This recipe is a great start!