Thursday, August 23, 2012

Wild Plum, Port and Cinnamon Jam, Recipe rewind because some things are too good to miss!

Recipe rewind, because in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. She still posts great food in hopes that the readers will come..........you can also view it here in the archives, Monday August 3, 2009.

Tonight I got around to making the jam, and it sure is pretty. Smells wonderful also, plums, port and cinnamon. I did not really use a recipe, but followed the guidelines - somewhat.

Wild plums, these were harvested from a flowering plum tree.

Plums have a lot of pectin naturally, so I felt confident that the jam would be just right with a double recipe and only 1 package of pectin. I had made a wonderful plum butter out of some leftover plums and used no pectin, it turned out wonderful and was gone in 3 days.

My favorite part of jam making is the little bit that doesn't fit into a jar. You get to enjoy it now. We always had bread and butter as part of dinner on jam making days, back in the day........


At this point I had the clean jars resting in a 250 degree oven. And the pan to the rear holds rings and lids, resting in hot (not boiling) water.

This pan of fruit puree, was started on Sunday. It contains 6-8 cups of the cherry size plums washed and left whole. 1 c port wine and 4 cinnamon sticks. Brought to a boil, and then simmered for  45 - 60 minutes. Set aside to cool. When cool remove cinnamon sticks, strain fruit through a stainless steel colander, stir gently to push fruit solids and through the holes. You will have a small mound of pits and some skin remnants to throw out.

I measured the puree, I had 6 liquid cups. I added equal sugar and the juice from 1 large lemon. Then it went into the fridge to rest until I was ready/had the time to finish.

To finish, stir 1 package of pectin into the puree, bring to a boil. Boil rapidly for 1 minute (you might want to check your pectin brand, it might be different).

Ladle int into 8, 8 oz jars, cap and place in boiling water bath. Process for 10 minutes starting after the water has returned a boil.

Remove jars from pot, set aside to cool. You should hear the "ping" of the seals coming down.

Makes 8, 8 oz jars and a little bit for now.


As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

this post is shared with:
full plate thursday@miz helen's
gallery of favorites@premeditated leftovers

5 comments:

laurie said...

that looks beautiful!!! well worth the work!

kitchen flavours said...

Yum! Plum jam is one of my favourite! I can't find any plums these few weeks, for my baking. I have just bought a pack of dried apricots yesterday, will be making the jam sometime the week after, as going off for a short holiday end of next week. Looking forward for some homemade jam!
Have a great weekend, Melynda!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Wow, the thought of having port and cinnamon jam on my biscuits this morning sounds amazing

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

I really like the port wine and cinnamon in your plum jam; what a gorgeous flavour they would give the already delicious plums. Your jam looks just wonderful!

Tim Jet said...

The warm, sunny weather has the trees and shrubs racing to display their blooms and get on with fruit production. Tn Tree Farm Nursery