Saturday, August 11, 2012

Vegetable Bouillon, for your pantry

Local for my community includes a state line. Two states and two cities have become a blended community. Each is very different, each has it's own charms, but it is a pleasure to have the added bonus of the spillage from one city into the other and the creation of a metro area.

I happen to live on the north side of the river, yet I work on the sound side of the river. It all comes together offering the best, to one and all.

On the south side of the river, is another cook, with a similar philosophy about food......cook with what you have. It goes a step further for this cook however, she is involved with local farmers and also gives classes to promote that same way of life, in your own kitchen.

As I read the blogs of other cooks, not only do I see beautiful food to make for my Sunday dinners, I notice the simple warming delicious foods for the end of a work day. Food that can still be cooked, at the end of my work day. Soup comes to the rescue, many times, and seems the perfect dinner in my mind. 

I love soup, a warm, satisfying, earthy, delicious soup. While reading about making her current favorite soup, I followed a link to a homemade veggie bouillon. This or an adaptation of your own flavor preferences is about the smartest and easiest thing to have in your pantry. Instant. Delicious. Homemade. Flavor.

Also it is a space saver, no more containers of cooked vegetable stock in the freezer. I knew right away I wanted to make this for the added zip it will add to my cooking, I hope you will too.

Homemade Vegetable Bouillon Paste
adapted from: cook with what you have

2-3 carrots, scrubbed - peeled if desired
2-3 stalks celery
1 small celeric, peeled and trimmed of any woody parts
1-2 shallots
1-2 cloves garlic
1-2 leek, white part only
6-8 dried tomatoes
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
3/4 c sea salt














Cut cleaned vegetables into chunks. Process using a pulse method until the mixture is consistent.


















Add parsley and salt, pulse to mix in. You will need to open the processor bowl and bring the contents from the bottom to the top, pulse several times and repeat bringing bottom to top. Finish pulsing to mix all ingredients together.












Spoon into freezer jars, and freeze for storage. Due to the salt content, this will not freeze hard. To use:  start by using 2 t per each cup of water, you may adjust per you own taste preferences.




and now, time to clean up!


Additional suggestions:  add to water when cooking rice, stir a spoonful into the pan drippings from a roast, simmer and serve, add to any other liquid or broth when making soup or even mashed potatoes.


What are some of your ideas?


As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!


This post will be shared with:
weekend cooking@beth fish reads


6 comments:

laurie said...

wow, thats so clever!!!!!

Laraine Eddington said...

Love it. Thanks.

Beth F said...

Great idea! I wonder how much I could cut down the salt and still have it not freeze hard.

Cecelia said...

I wouldn't have thought of making a bouillon versus vegetable stock, but it's a great idea, and I'm sure freezing fresh veggies would make quite a difference in taste. Thanks for sharing!

kitchen flavours said...

Wow, I would never have thought to make my own vegetable bouillon, what a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing, Melynda!

Kailana said...

This is a great idea! I really need a food processor...