Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pizza Sauce from the pantry, Recipe rewind because some things are too good to miss!

Recipe rewind, because in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. She still posts great food in hopes that the readers will come..........you can also view it here in the archives, Monday February 28, 2011.

I like to do it myself, most of the time anyway. However I like being able to do it myself, even more. I don't care to get caught up in reliance upon others (things or people) for everyday living.There is a lot of "hurry up and wait" with that option. This is especially true in the kitchen. A few basic skills and a sense of wonder, coupled with my desire to be independent, is how I like things to roll. And I can usually produce what we want, or at least what is acceptable.

We had homemade pizza for our dinner on Sunday. When I went to the pantry cupboard there was no tomato sauce. Around here tomato sauce is usually purchased as part of a recipe that is planned for, except for that lone can in wait for "those times" and apparently I had already used it! Not wanting to send Honey back to the store a third time (yes He did go twice, short story, I forgot the pizza cheese on the supplies list, for Pete's sake!), I improvised.

And as luck would have it, this is now our pizza sauce. Worth the little bit of extra time, and the bonus? I always have cans of diced tomatoes, I could not get along without them. This sauce if flavorful with just the right touch of tomato goodness.


Pantry Pizza sauce
by the seat of my pants

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes - do not drain
1 T sugar
1/2 t oregano leaves
1T basil leaves
1/4 t garlic salt
1 T olive oil

Empty tomatoes into a medium sized saucepan.


Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher, to break up.


Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.


Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thick, 30-45 minutes.













 This is at the 15 minute mark. Just beginning to thicken.





 
This is done, 30 minutes. Thick enough to stay
where the spoon pushes it! The smell is so good!




Now your pizza is ready to be made, choose your favorite flavors and bake! Pizza is fun, easy to personalize and then all you have to do is enjoy!

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

this post is shared with:
full plate thursday@miz helens
 

1 comment:

laurie said...

that sounds perfect!