Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Garden Tuesday, the one where she stumbled upon it!

I know what you are thinking, will she ever get over it?
"It" being rhubarb, yeah probably not.

I am not an experienced gardener, and having had such bad growing conditions what with huge fir trees that produced wonderful shade for people, soured soil from said trees and simple lack of knowledge, this really is a big deal to me. I'm just sayin!

Originally I was going to transplant the rhubarb this fall. I was hoping for that little bed to just sit there, waiting for spring time, what with so many other things to get done. Moving to a new home does that to one's schedule, with so much to do, what can wait, must wait. But.......

I knew exactly where I wanted the rhubarb in the new backyard. I had noticed rhubarb planted in various little nooks and crannies in other gardens and it did just fine, actually more than fine. At the west end of the new house, I thought would be a wonderful little "nook and cranny" for the rhubarb. It could be watered as much as is needed, without over watering other plants. Oh and full sun, all day long. That was the other growing condition I had observed. And probably the most lacking in the old yard........

Since I was going to create a garden spot with cinder blocks to make a raised bed and have a deep spot to plant the goofy looking roots, it was actually a quick and easy task as far as gardening goes. The hardest part was hauling home heavy bags of soil and other fine things. So..........


I did not wait to move the plants. Some of the goofy bottoms were fairly large, as I have been struggling growing rhubarb for about five years. And while I did not harvest any much it was apparent that the growing conditions at the old house were simply not conducive to grow food for harvest. However......

Some of the goofy bottoms however were very small, as I have been adding plants as the years go by. But I planted them all. I took off all of the stalks, as they were yellowish and not healthy. Except for the biggest plant, those I left to grow. I knew they were large enough to keep growing and hoped they would. I needed some way to measure what I had just done!


Those goofy bottoms were now planted in a deep bed of rich soil and aged manure. Really, could they ask for more? Then I coiled on a soaker hose, and covered everything up with my homemade brown paper mulch. I watered the bed and felt a bit of pride in getting this one task done. I would kept an eye on the remaining stalks each time I watered. And continue to hope it would all be OK in the spring. But then..............

Little green curly leaves started to raise up the mulch, first here and then there. Happiness is! Except for the north side of the bed, where the littlest goofy bottoms were planted. I stood back and observed each time I watered, even peeking under the mulch. But still nothing green was to be seen on the north end. Well I consoled myself, 80% success in the transplant is wonderful! I could fill in the north side in the spring. And then.........


I noticed a little bulge in the mulch and lo and behold a curly leave on the north side. Yes! I did not plant those little goofy bottoms upside down, there would be no rhubarb growing in China after all, it was going to grown in my backyard, finally for once!

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

this post is shared with:
garden tuesday@ sidewalk shoes
tuesday garden party@ an oregon cottage

2 comments:

Pam said...

I am so enjoying the rhubarb saga. Will it or won't it??

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

These are looking wonderful! I send you good horticultural wishes for your rhubarb!