Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fried Mashed Potatoes, just like grandma's!

Thinking about my grandmother this morning, got me to remembering her frugal ways. So many of her ways are incorporated into my own life. Food was never wasted, period. One thing she would do for us when we stayed the night is make her fried mashed potatoes.


She called them "cakes" but the ingredients were simple, leftover mashed potatoes and an egg. The secret is in the cooking time, remember these are mashed potatoes and much stiffer when cold. It takes a while to brown up the cakes, so you must be patient.....we just happen to have some leftover potatoes from our pot roast dinner, so lets make some "cakes" for breakfast.



Like so many delicious old fashioned food,  these are not pretty, only tasty!

My grandma's potato cakes
by the seat of my pants
makes "a few!"

leftover mashed potatoes - about 1 1/2 cups
1 egg
salt and pepper


Place the potatoes in a bowl, add the egg and mix well. The easiest way to do this is with a potato masher.


Drop the potato mixture into a frying pan, gently flatten, season generously with salt and pepper.


Cook on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, gently turn and continue cooking until firm to the touch, you want the cakes to cook all the way through, there is raw egg in the middle otherwise.

Serve with eggs and toast with homemade jam for a delicious breakfast!

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments.

this post will be shared with:
see ya in the gumbo@Me Enplace
hearth and soul@premeditated leftovers
using leftovers @ carol's chatter

13 comments:

laurie said...

yum!!!!!!!

K-Koira said...

Those look really tasty.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Yum, yum, yum!! I often do this with leftover risotto - just mix with a fried egg, shape into cakes and fry off - delicious. I also often mix leftover mashed potato with an egg and smoked salmon for delicious fish cakes. But I could definitely scoff a big plate of these simple potato cakes for a Sunday brunch - a bit of bacon and a poached egg on top and I would be in heaven.
Sue xo

kitchen flavours said...

This sounds so good! Love simple old-fashioned recipes like this, they never go out of "fashion"! :o) Food like this makes us appreciate "those good old days" even more!
Have a great week, Melynda!

Laraine Eddington said...

Ha! I knew I liked your grandma. I have done this for years.

Elise said...

Yum! My mother used to make these with onion in them. So good!

MM said...

Oh, I would hate to waste potatoes! I'm going to remember this next time I have leftovers! Thank you for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo.

Fudge said...

My dad used to always make these for us and I still absolutely love them! I actually love them so much better than the first go around with the potatoes! Thanks for the reminder - I'm going to make these soon :)

-Sarah
www.callmefudge.com

Cindy said...

My mom used to make those when there were leftover mashed potatoes, and I had forgotten all about them. Thanks for the reminder!

Elsa said...

I've commented on a lot of blogs, and I've noticed that almost everyone is trying to prevent food waste (and me too!). I LOVE this! Your recipe looks great, wonderful use to leftovers. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul!!

Evan Ritter said...

My mom used to make these also. The way she did it was to shape the leftover mashed potatoes into a patty, dredge in an egg wash and then dip into flour that had salt and pepper mixed into it, then fry them. They were delicious, and I make them for my family now also, so good!

robin said...

My mom used to make these also. She would shape a patty, dip it in an egg scrambled in a bowl, then dredge it in a flour/salt/pepper mix, and fry it. Yummy!

robin said...

My mom used to make fried mashed potatoes also, however, she did them a little differently. She would shape the patty, dip it into an egg scrambled in a bowl, dredge in flour mixed with salt and pepper, then fry it. I do with this my family now, and everyone loves them!