Friday, July 27, 2012

Apple Butter in the Crockpot, Recipe rewind because some things are too good to miss!

Recipe rewind, because in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. She still posts great food in hopes that the readers will come..........you can also view it here in the archives, Wednesday October 20, 2010.

I do not have my own apple tree, but granddaughter has one in her backyard. It was planted on her fifth birthday. At this time however, too immature to produce many apples.

Not enough for apple butter, that's for sure. Maybe in a few years, I can teach my granddaughter how to make apple butter from the apples on her apple tree. Until then.....

I love apple butter, it has many uses, besides being spread on hot toast.

Stir a couple of spoonful into pan drippings for a different way to de-glazed and make a quick and delicious pan sauce.

Mix it with cream cheese for a tasty dip.

Use it as a filling between cake layers.

Use it in place of some of the shortening/fat in a recipe.

There is more, and I am sure you get the idea.

So until I have a tree to work with............

I use to live in Yakima and I am familiar with Snokist. This company processes many of the Yakima grown apples. When I noticed these large cans at Costco, I knew my apple butter was only a crock pot away.


Start this in the evening and right after breakfast, you are ready to process the finished jars.


Crock Pot Apple Butter
adapted from Sage Trifle

1 # 10 can of water pack applesauce
2 c sugar
2 T cinnamon
1/8 t cloves
1/4 t allspice

Mix all ingredients in a large crock pot. Cover with a towel or screen, cook on low all night.











Place a small plate in the freezer, to use the next morning.

In the morning, this will have reduced down about 1/3 in volume. Place a small spoonful on the plate and let cool. If thick enough, turn off crock pot and prepare jars and a boiling water bath. If not let cook another hour or two, then prepare jars and water bath.

Jar up the butter, lid and cap, per manufacturers instructions. Process 12 minutes in a boiling water bath.

These jars are from the first batch, what is in the crock pot right now, 
will not be ready to jar up for about 12 - 15 hours.

Yield about 5 pints and hopefully some for now.

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

This post is shared with:
full plate thursday@Miz Helens

5 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Good Morning Melynda,
I just love Crockpot Apple Butter, this is a great recipe to have. Hope you have a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Kat said...

It has been a long time since I have had apple butter. And I love using a crock pot, so this is great! And I love your uses for apple butter too. I never thought to put it between cake layers.

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great week and enjoy your new Red Plate.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Cynthia L. said...

This sounds yummy! We do have apple trees - 6 to be exact. We were outside this evening picking some of them. We will be making some apple butter and peach butter tomorrow.

Cynthia L. said...

This sounds yummy! We do have apple trees - 6 to be exact. We were outside this evening picking some of them. We will be making some apple butter and peach butter tomorrow.