Sunday, June 24, 2012

Our Sunday Cafe, June 2012

When I looked back on our dinners, we were a bit heavy on the desserts and a bit light on the vegetables. I have been turning that around for the last couple of months and it has proven to be not only healthier but everyone still has a nice dinner, great conversations and we all get caught up in what is happening with everyone. Eating healthier is just a sweet little extra bonus!

Starters:
Vegetable Plate, with ham wrapped green onions, swiss cheese and ranch dip

The ranch was made with greek yogurt and very little mayo, tastes great. I like setting out vegetables with a dip or dunk as a starter and have been doing this for years. 

Main Dishes:
Grilled Meats (flank steak, chicken thighs) with Chimichurri sauce




The chimichurri sauce came from this tasting spoons, I love to visit and see what they are eating, always interesting.
 Side Dishes:
Grilled Shaved Zucchini over Tossed greens with Feta

The shaved zucchini salad from proud italian cook, I really enjoyed the texture of the zucchini ribbons. But this salad needs a lemon based vinaigrette to shine, next time.....

Grilled Caesar Salad


Slow cooked Green beans with hocks and red potatoes, seasoned with garlic, thyme and dried tomato


Roasted Green Beans with Mushrooms

Just like you, I cook with what I have. What I had was a large bag of green beans to use up. I love the slow cooked green beans with ham hocks, but knew that many at the table would prefer the roasted green beans. I am glad I made both, there is lots of delicious leftovers for the next few days.

Buttered Brown Rice
 
Dessert:
Chocolate Zucchini Bread with Brandied Prunes

 Honeyed Cream Cheese Spread with Cinnamon


Apricot Pie with cobblestone crust (because I did not get enough last weekend.....)

The zucchini bread used up the last of the brandied prunes made so many months ago and tucked in the back of the refrigerator. I think homestyle food has always been a cook with what you have process, I know it will continue on here in this kitchen.
Beverage:
wines - red and white
Beer
Ice tea
Sodas
milk

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

6 comments:

Pegasuslegend said...

What a glorious feast!

Jess said...

Everything was delicious Mom, thank you for all your hard work.

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

sounds delicious! i love the apricot pie! yum!

Sage Trifle said...

This meal sounds just scrumptious in every way. Your lucky family! How long does it take for you to put together one of these marvelous feasts?

Kitchen Belleicious said...

oh how delicious!

kitchen flavours said...

A wonderful Sunday dinner! Everything looks really good!