Monday, June 18, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Syrup, for your ice cream and chocolate milk

One of my favorite treats is a peanut butter, vanilla ice cream, sliced banana with chocolate syrup over the top, Sundae. Just the other night I went to have one, and yep you guessed it, no chocolate syrup. That will not happen again.....

Chocolate Syrup
adapted from: one good thing
makes approximately 1 1/2 cups

1 1/2 c sugar
3/4 c cocoa
dash salt
1 c water
1-2 t honey (what ever falls in the pan, this will help prevent sugar crystals from re-forming during storage)
2 t vanilla

Combine dry ingredients, stir well to mix.

Add water and honey, stir to combine.

Bring to a boil,

lower heat, simmer for 1 minute.

Stir in vanilla, let cool and decant.

Store in the refrigerator. Shake gently before using, if needed.


Oh and here is how to make a peanut butter banana sundae,

Take a small bowl, "frost" the bottom of the bowl with 1 - 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, add a scoop of ice cream. Slice a banana over the top and drizzle with chocolate syrup, YUM!

Thank you for visiting Our Sunday Cafe, as always we appreciate your time when you visit and your wonderful comments! 

If you like what you see here, we would appreciate it if you told your friends (we would love more followers!), if not, tell us. Our goal is to share relevant information that you will enjoy and use for yourself and your family. 

You can also sign up for Our Sunday Cafe posts by email, thank you for subscribing!

this post shared with:
hearth and soul@premeditated leftovers


Melissa @ Frugal Creativity said...

I've had the "no chocolate syrup in the house" moments, and I know how they can strike terror into one's heart! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

The chocolate peanut butter sundae sounds delicious. If I remember correctly, Reese's Peanut Butter Syrup is just peanut butter thinned with vegetable oil. I think I like your idea better. :)

Kitchen Belleicious said...

i have never thought o make my own syrup. this sounds amazing. what a great idea

Frugal in WV said...

Now I really want ice cream :) Your homemade chocolate syrup looks delicious! I think I am going to try this for my boys this summer, they would love it!

kristenly said...

i've been looking for a recipe like this to make to add to my coffee. i love that you don't use corn syrup. thanks for sharing! (i'm pinning this... i hope that's ok)

kristenly said...

oops...nevermind it wont let me... i totally respect that. i'll go find some paper and write it down.

Alea Milham said...

Your chocolate syrup looks wonderful! I think homemade syrup tastes so much better. Plus you have complete control over the ingredients.