Sunday, May 20, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Next year at this time, I should have some home grown rhubarb for this recipe. Strawberries too. But these ingredients did come from my local market. I am going back to the old house on a regular basis to keep the "garden" going until all can be transplanted this fall. Oh and the rhubarb, it is doing very well thank you!

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
adapted from:  The Foster's Market Cookbook
375 degree oven


the intro:  This crisp is slightly tangy. You may want to add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter dessert. And, as with most crisps, vanilla ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream is a wonderful complement to this dish.


Topping:

1 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c rolled oats - I used 1 c oats in place of the oats and almonds
1/2 c sliced almonds
2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves - I did not use.
1/4 t salt

12 T (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into 1/2 inch dice

Combine all dry ingredients, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.


Filling:

2 c hulled and halved strawberries - I used 4 cups
4 c chopped rhubarb
1 c sugar (or up to 1 1/4 c sugar for a sweeter taste) - I used 1 1/4 cups sugar
3 T flour
1 T cornstarch

Combine filling ingredients, turn into a 11X7X3 inch pan or a large skillet.

Crumble the topping over the top.


Bake 45-55 minutes or until done in your oven.

Serve with your choice of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thank you for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

this post is shared with:
cookbook sundays@couscous and Consciousness
hearth and soul@premeditated leftovers

8 comments:

laurie said...

yum, this looks soooo good!

Pam said...

Just imagine how good this will be next year with your own rhubarb!

Sage Trifle said...

I would love to have a serving of that crisp, still warm from the oven, topped with freshly whipped cream.
And a cup of steaming hot tea.

Frugal in WV said...

I absolutely love rhuarb! I saw some at the farmers market this weekend and thought about making a dessert with it. I think that you may have inspired me to actually buy it next time, your recipe looks delicious :)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Totally delicious, Melynda, and this will be even better next year with your own rhubarb. It's just turning to winter here and I've just put down some strawberry plants a friend gave me, so hoping for a good crop of those when December comes around.

Thanks so much for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays.
xo

Alea Milham said...

This looks wonderful! My rhubarb is in, but I am still waiting on strawberries. I think I may just have to buy some from a fruit stand so I can make this for my family.

Swathi Iyer said...

Meylanda, The crisp looks delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

charmaine smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.