Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Finest Salad Dressing...

Life is a bit crazy right now, what with 2 houses and jobs and laundry and well you get the picture.

This weekend has been painting and pruning and then tomorrow it is a return to "work" which will be nice, a bit of a rest actually!

But we still must eat and I found this salad dressing recipe in one of my books, it caught my eye because of two ingredients: bay leaves and bitters. I have a fondness for unusual ingredients and bitters really fills that bill. If you have made my version of Penzy's  Bay Leaf Seasoning. you could substitute 1/2 t for the crumbled bay leaves.

The Finest Salad Dressing
adapted from:  The Melting Pot, Food From Many Lands
Height Cooperative Nursery School, November 1961

Combine all ingredients and shake well:

1 c oil
1/4 c vinegar
2 T mayonnaise
1 t sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t MSG - I did not use
2 bay leaves gently crushed
1/8 - 1/4 t garlic powder - I used 1/8 t
pinch of oregano
dash of Augostra Bitters

Truth in blogging:  next time I will blend the mayo into a bit of the oil so it is lump free.


Thank you for visiting Our Sunday Cafe, as always we appreciate your time when you visit and your wonderful comments! 

If you like what you see here, we would appreciate it if you told your friends (we would love more followers!), if not, tell us. Our goal is to share relevant information that you will enjoy and use for yourself and your family. 

You can also sign up for Our Sunday Cafe posts by email, thank you for subscribing!

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

this post will be shared with:
cookbook sundays  


laurie said...

sounds yummy and that salad sounds so good its making me hungry, have a restful week back at work, it must be stressful having two houses

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Visiting from Cookbook Sundays. Your dressing sounds great, I love homemade dressings, they really make salad special I think.

Very neat old cookbook as well, I love paging through those types and finding recipes that no one makes or remembers anymore that are actually really good.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Hi Melynda - what a cool cookbook. I'm totally intrigued by this dressing - can't wait to give it a go. I love bitters, and am fascinated by the idea of combining that with bay leaves in a dressing.

Life is full on for me too right now - which is why it's taken me two weeks to stop by :-(

Thanks for sharing at Cookbook Sundays.

Sue xo