Monday, February 13, 2012

Fruit Cocktail Cookies, updated with photos

I have had this recipe for over 30 years (yikes!) and they are a sweet simple cookie to offer up for snacks and desserts. They bake up a bit crisp, and soften to a tender cake cookie the following day.

I posted this recipe before, when I did not have a camera. In going back over the earlier posts, this one deserved to "served up" again, with photos! I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as we have through the years.

Fruit Cocktail Cookies
makes 5-6 dozen - Not at my house, I get 3 dozen 2" cookies!
 375 degree oven

Preheat oven, 375 F

1 16oz can fruit cocktail, well drained

In a large mixing bowl:
1 c butter, room temp
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 t vanilla
Cream butter, add both sugars, beat until "creamy", add eggs and vanilla, again beat until "creamy".

In a medium bowl, whisk together to combine:
4 c flour (spoon lightly into measure cup, sweep off the top)
1 t soda
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 ground cloves - I am not a cloves fan, so if you prefer you may use another spice, mace is delicious.
1/2 t salt

Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, blend in until smooth.

BY HAND, fold in the fruit cocktail (in truth, I use my mixer on low).





Drop onto prepared cookie sheets (approximately 1" balls), bake 12 - 15 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes, transfer to cooling racks.

These are tender moist cookies, therefore they do not layer one atop the other very well, you may want to layer with waxed paper between the layers.

Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasy but not special)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop by. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

This post is shared with:
hearth and soul @ premeditated leftovers

2 comments:

Alea Milham said...

I love this idea! My kids love fruit cocktail and this is a delicious way to get a little more fiber in them.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

These sound delicious! I always think the old recipes are the best ones. (And we love fruit cocktail too!)