Thursday, February 16, 2012

Beef vegetable soup, Recipe rewind because some things are too good to miss!

Recipe rewind, because in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. She still posts great food in hopes that the readers will come..........you can also view it here in the  archives, Tuesday March 10, 2009.


Remember those beef commercials from years back, "Beef, it's whats for supper". I am kind of like that about soup. This happens to be beef vegetable barley soup, but any soup will do. The thing about soup is, there are a lot of vegetables in there, and no one seems to mind.

I like the vegetables cut uniform, that way you get a little of everything on your spoon. This beautiful quartet is added to the bottom of the 6 qt. crockpot.

Looks good already, but there is more.

I bunch of kale, also cut into easy to manage pieces, that will fit on the spoon.


Here is a guideline of what I did for this soup, however soup is very easy to personalize. You can have meat, lots of meat or no meat. You can use different vegetables, or (gasp) no vegetables! You will notice that I do not put potatoes in soup, because I do not like the texture of them when the soup is thawed. But I do have a potato idea that I will share.

Layered beef vegetable barley soup
by the seat of my pants



2 pounds lean ground beef, made into 1 or 2 large patties, browned well and set aside to cool.
1 red onion, diced
4 stalks of celery, diced
1 red pepper, diced
5 carrots, diced
1 bunch kale, diced
1/3 - 1/2 c barley
1 T homemade bay leaf seasoning  or herb seasoning of choice
2 cloves garlic minced
2 t salt
1 16 oz can ready cut tomatoes, do not drain
2 qts homemade beef bone broth/stock, or beef stock base and 2 quarts of water

Place diced vegetables in bottom of crockpot, sprinkle with the barley and seasonings. Dice up your meat, add to crockpot. Add tomatoes and their liquid. Add stock to come within 1 inch of the top, cover and cook on high for 6 hours.

Yum, makes 6 qts of meaty dinner soup. This freezes well, and can be enjoyed again when time is tight and everyone is hungry!

Potato Idea! : ladle soup over home fries, these are especially tasty when made with leftover baked potatoes. 

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop by. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

This post will be shared with:
full plate thursday @ Miz Helen's
hearth and soul @ premeditated leftovers

6 comments:

laurie said...

oh this is a beautiful post, those colors, the soup is a winner!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

I love veggie beef soup and yours looks so colorful and delicious!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda,
I just love your beautiful veggies. This is an awesome soup and it would be perfect on this cold rainy day. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen

Pearl said...

Oh, yum! and kale? Is there anything that kale doesn't make better?!

People don't think about having soup often enough, really...

Greetings from Minneapolis!

Pearl

Frugal in WV said...

Love the beautiful veggies! Kale is a popular veggie in our house, my husband and I love it! Great post!

Alea Milham said...

Your beef vegetable soup looks so colorful and delicious! I love the idea of your recipe rewind,I missed this one the first time it came out, so I'm glad you shared it again.