Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Scratch Pie Crust, the easy way! Part 1

I have always made my pie crust by hand, I just prefer knowing the ingredients that we eat, cooking from scratch insures that I know what we are eating. However, I always made small errors, especially in the amount of water added at the end. This made for good pie crust, but not great pie crust. And of course I wanted a great crust.......enter the machine made crust.

My homemade crust recipe
by the seat of my pants

2 1/2 c flour
1 T sugar
1 t salt
3/4 c butter

6 T cold water - do not use more water, that is the secret to great crust.




Cut the butter in small pieces, add flour, sugar and salt to the mixer bowl, along with the butter. Begin mixing and let the paddle cut the butter into the flour.









While the mixer is mixing, add the water 1 T at a time. The dough will begin to cling together and work into a solid mass.













Remove dough from bowl, divide into two parts. Coat lightly with flour, and you are ready to roll out and make pie! See you tomorrow for Part 2, because easy as pie, is a true statement!


As always thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello, I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

This post will be shared with:

hearth and soul @ premeditated leftovers


3 comments:

Jess said...

I make mine in a food processor, now that's the easy way.. ;-)

Melynda said...

For some reason, I have not been able to perfect a food processor crust. This does take longer, but the paddle mixer is a lot like your own hands, as it handles the task.

Alea Milham said...

I love that your recipe is inspired 'by the seat of your pants"! I haven't made pie crust in a blender, but I am looking forward to trying it!