Monday, October 10, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

Rain is pounding on the roof and the sun porch, darkness has invaded our evenings until daylight savings time comes to play. And since I received a request, the only thing left to do was bake. Tonight I am making pumpkin bread, from "The Wooden Spoon Bread Book". I have used this book time and time again through the years.

Pumpkin Bread
adapted from:  The Wooden Spoon Bread Book
350 degree oven
makes 2 loaves


the intro:  Some of my friends take a pumpkin from the field and cook it themselves. Starting from scratch definitely has it's virtues, but I personally make pumpkin bread with canned pumpkin. This is where I prefer for someone else to do part of the work.

(additional thoughts, canned pumpkin is great to be able to make this wonderful bread, long after fall is gone.)

3 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
2 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t each nutmeg, ginger
1/4 t cloves

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients, whisk to mix well. Set aside.

2/3 c oil
2/3 c molasses
4 eggs
2 c canned pumpkin

In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients, beat well.


Mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.



 Divide between 2 loaf pans, bake 1 hour, or until tests done in your oven. Let cool 10 - 15 minutes, turn out to cook completely.


Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop by.
I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments.

this post is shared with:
hearth and soul # 69 right here at Mom's Sunday Cafe!

6 comments:

K-Koira said...

Pumpkin is certainly an ingredient on everyone's mind (and taste buds!) lately. I just made a pretty darn good pumpkin cream cheese bars recipe that was super simple.

laurie said...

I'm so very happy for you, beautiful rings,, I agree canned pumpkin is so much better for breads and pies,,

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Great looking pumpkin bread, Melynda. I would have to make the pumpkin puree from scratch since canned pumpkin is not available here. But looks like this would be worth the effort.

You must be getting so excited with the big day now so close. I hope you have a wonderful day :-)

Sue xo

Holly said...

No.... who are "they"? Whoever they are, they knew my husband. I love pumpkin bread, so moist and yummy. So happy for you and Jim about the wedding, won't be long now!

Swathi said...

Delicious and beautiful Pumpkin bread, love the wedding bands too.

sandra said...

Your post is very nice. The wedding rings is beautiful and color is very nice. i love this blog.