Saturday, October 1, 2011

Old Fashion Pound Cake


Until today, I had never made a pound cake. There is one right now in the oven, baking up to a golden brown wonderfulness. I love pound cake, it is buttery and delicious.

Pound Cake
from:  Jim Fobel's Old Fashioned Baking Book
makes 1 9X5 loaf
325 oven

the intro:  Pound cake derives its name from the original formula from which it was made; one pound each of butter, sugar, flour and eggs, enough to make 2 loaves. This old recipe of Aunt Irma's calls for approximately one-half pound of each of the ingredients and yields on loaf.

2 c all purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder


1 c (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 c sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
2 t vanilla extract

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour (prepare in your preferred method) a 9X5 inch loaf pan.

In a medium sized bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.


In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.


Gradually beat in the sugar, until blended.

One at a time, beat in the eggs. Add the vanilla extract.


 This morning I had a special helper while baking this cake. She learned to crack eggs, opening them will need additional practice, good thing we like to bake, practice does make perfect!

 The butter, sugar, egg mixture will look curdled, don't let that stop you because....

Add the dry ingredients and beat just until smooth.

This batter comes together beautifully.

Turn batter into the prepared pan, bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.



Time to get things cleaned up!


Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

This will be my entry for Cookbook Sundays, link opens at 6:00pm.

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop by.
I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!



6 comments:

Holly said...

I've never made a pound cake but I'm thinking this doesn't look too difficult. I could probably do that.

laurie said...

this is a wonderful pound cake,, I'm snitching this one!

Sage Trifle said...

I am not a big cake fan, I prefer pie and cookies. But I am very passionate about pound cake and yours looks delicious!

Miz Helen said...

Your pound cake looks really good Melynda. I just love a slice of warm pound cake with my tea. Thanks for hosting and hope you are having a great week end!
Miz Helen

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Even though I love pound cake, I have never actually made one either. Yours is the first one I'm going to try - thanks for sharing it.
Sue xo

Kalyan said...

Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!