Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chocolate Mint Zucchini Bread, Recipe rewind, because some things are too good to miss

Recipe rewind, because in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. She still posts great food in hopes that the readers will come..........you can also view it here in the archives, Wednesday August 11, 2010.



I had hoped to get this post out earlier, but after picking berries I thought I should snip off the Dusty Miller flowers. It had flowered so beautifully this year, and with so many blossoms it had fallen over with it's own weight!

As usual, I must have been deep in thought (serious or otherwise!) while I snipped because I mistook one of my own fingers for a stem and took a "snip" out of the end of it - ouch! One compression bandage and a few hours later it is fine. Tender, but fine. So lets make some zucchini bread already.

I found these beautiful zucchini while out blueberry picking at a local organic farm. I knew right away I wanted to make something special with them and decided to make up a special chocolate and zucchini bread that was just a bit different than most. Only 3 zucchini went into this loaf, but I definitely have plans for the rest.


Chocolate Mint Walnut almost sounds like a candy bar, doesn't it? I have noticed a lot of different recipes, for zucchini bread. I have also noticed that these new and exciting offerings are really a loaf style cake. A loaf cake serves up easy, is usually complete on it's own and can be packed easy in a lunch. Sounds great to me, and just in time, isn't school going to start some time soon?

Chocolate Mint Zucchini Bread
recipe by the seat of my pants!
oven 350 degrees

2 c flour
1/2 c dry unsweetened baking cocoa
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking soda

2 eggs
1 c sugar
1 t vanilla
1/3 c oil 
3/4 c yogurt or buttermilk

2 medium zucchini shredded - about 1 1/2 cups
1/4 c chiffonade mint

1 - 2 c chopped walnuts, use what pleases your family

1/3 - 1/2 c chocolate chips to garnish top of loaf before baking - if desired


Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl, use a large spoon or whisk to combine and mix in the dry cocoa completely.


In a large bowl, beat eggs, add remaining ingredients through yogurt, beat well to combine.


Stir dry ingredients into wet along with the zucchini and mint. Fold in chopped walnuts.


Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, if using and bake 45-55 minutes or until done in your oven.

Time to clean up while the loaf is baking. But the good smell coming from the oven is worth it!

Enjoy! As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop by.
I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

This post is shared with:
full plate thursday @ miz helen's country cottage


5 comments:

laurie said...

sounds good to me,, chocolate and mint ,, yum.i hope the finger heals soon, that would be an ouch for sure!

Donnie said...

Ouch! Hope it gets to feeling better soon. That zucchini bread ought to make it all better though....lol...

Reeni said...

That is one beautiful loaf of zucchini bread Melynda! I'm glad you reposted it. Sorry about your finger!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda,
I just love your rewinds, they are all really great. I love the Chocolate Mint combination of this bread, it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come back soon!
Miz Helen

Frugal in WV said...

Yum, I love the chocolate and mint combo, I am definitely going to try this recipe, thanks!