Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Garden Tuesday, Basil harvest

Last week I got some great advice on getting more from the basil plant. So this week, I did the following:

Harvest.

Chose a vase to store it in, which was too small.

Found this brown fuzzy guy, when I transferred to.....

this large kitchen bowl, filled with water.

Tonight I will wash, dry and make pesto with this lovely basil. My kitchen smells so good right now! I am hoping I can get a second harvest before the cold weather arrives. Pesto in the freezer is a good thing!

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop by.
I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

This post is shared with:
garden tuesday @ sidewalk shoes
tuesday garden party @ an oregon cottae

9 comments:

Mrs. Petrie said...

We've been enjoying lots of fresh pesto, too. Yum!

Donnie said...

We went to Florida for a week and, even though I had watered mine heavily before I left, it totally dried up. I'll try this tip next year.

kitchen flavours said...

Nice harvest, Melynda! A great idea with the pesto, I should make some too. I have a couple of basil plants, click to view http://mypottedgarden.blogspot.com/2011/09/some-harvest.html

The plants really need to be cut back, I've already freeze some leaves, not sure whether that works, first time I'm trying! I've cooked some pasta with it and pesto sounds great! Thank you! Hope you had a great time camping! Have a lovely day! :)

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

The basil looks wonderful! I've been enjoying mine with fresh tomatoes in salad--so good.

Pam said...

That's a great harvest!! I'm doing my third harves this season, and if the weather holds out, I'm hoping to get a fourth in!

Laraine Eddington said...

My basil plant is the only one that makes it through every season. It is in a pot on my porch and even survives the hot summer temps in AZ. I love pesto!

Miriam said...

I immagine that your kitchen smells so fabulous! Fresh basil is so deliciously fragrant :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Dan said...

That is one big pile of basil! Pesto sounds like a great plan for it.

We have a bit growing here and there in our garden and I'm trying to use it before it goes to seed.

Last year I ended up making bruschetta and a salad dressing - they turned out great.

Debbie said...

I love the smell of basil!! I am horrible about harvesting as I should. Pesto--Yum!