Thursday, September 1, 2011

Zuchinni Bread

Officially summer is gone, done, over. School has begun and life is returning to a scheduled normal. Many sighs of relief can be heard all over town. I remember those days, but I have to ask myself this question. Where did summer go, and how did it pass me by?

It seems like just yesterday summer had began. And now it is over. I have an empty list of summer activities. I did not grill, go to the beach or even cook much these past couple of months. Whew, it's over though, huh? I do have a couple of zucchini on the dining room table. Not from my garden, but they are home grown. They are zucchini bread zucchini, so lets get started.


Zucchini Bread
from:  The Old Farmer's Almanac, Best Home Baking
makes 2 loaves


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 8X4 in loaf pans, set aside. Grate 1 medium large zucchini.

3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c oil
1 T vanilla

Beat until combined.

3 c flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
1 T cinnamon

Sift/whisk together until combined.


2 c shredded zucchini

Stir zucchini into the egg/sugar mixture. Stir in flour mixture until smooth. Divide evenly into the loaf pans. Bake 45 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, turn out and let cool completely. Let rest overnight before cutting for best texture.


makes 2 loves

This will be my entry for Cookbook Sundays, link opens September 4th!

Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop by.
I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

This post is also shared with:
garden variety wednesday @ ms enPlace
gallery of favorites ! premeditated leftovers



11 comments:

laurie said...

oh my gosh what memories this brings back,, I would make loaf after loaf in Autumn for school lunches, I would freeze them along with banana and date nut loaves,, this was the very recipe I used as well, thanks for this reminder of such a good time for me,,

Sunray Gardens said...

Love zucchini bread. Yours looks wonderful.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Donnie said...

I love zucchini bread but Don doesn't so if I make it ...I eat it.....lol...Your loaves look beautiful.

Brenda said...

I feel the same way - where did it go!? We have a last blast if summer today, it'll be in the 90's with the humidity. I'm looking forward to fall weather, it's been a hot summer, but I can't really complain, I mean isn't it supposed to be? LOL! Could use a slice of your lovely zucchini bread to go with my coffee right now. Have a great day Melynda!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

If summer ending means getting to have this bread then I am all for it! It looks divine and so moist. Perfect for all times of the season but more specifically a great way to ring in the new fall!

MM said...

I know, right? Before we know it, the year will be over.

I can smell this bread baking!

Thanks for sharing it with Garden Variety Wednesday.

Alea Milham said...

I was just wondering where summer went yesterday. It flew by and I didn't do half of the things I wanted to. Thank goodness for zucchini season to get a through this period between summer and fall. Thank you for sharing your recipe and sentiments with the Gallery of Favorites.

Richa said...

we had summer for like a week.. now back to fall weather in the northwest.! i like zukes in bread!
Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog
Hobby And More on Facebook

LeAnn said...

I must still be in denial. We had so little summer weather. And my summer and the last one was so overly busy and not in a good way. I'm hoping for a warm September. But I suppose I'll take what I get. Oh well!

Sage Trifle said...

I love summer with its long days and bright colors, and never want it to go. I don't know why I have never made or even eaten zucchini bread. Your recipe inspires me to change that.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

We had so little summer weather that I feel a bit like summer passed us by here in England too. Your zucchini bread looks delicious. I love that sort of thing - especially with a cup of tea on a cold and rainy autumn day! Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.