Saturday, August 13, 2011

Spinach Zucchini Soup or Working on a deadline! Opps missed it! Taste and Create with Bizzy B Bakes

This is the second month I have participated as a Taste and Create partner. And I want to say, this is a fun project. First you visit their blog, learn about the blogger and then you get to chose what you want to cook from their different posts. When I spotted the spinach and zucchini soup, I was in!

Let me introduce my partner this month,  Bizzy B Bakes . She is busy! Not only does she bake, but she co-hosts hops and is also hard at work with all things related to family and home. I chose this soup because of an interesting ingredient. This soup recipe, starts with 3-4 cups of your own homemade (meaty) chicken soup, that you might have leftover or stashed away in the freezer for a quick meal on a busy night. This is great for those families that do not like leftovers of the same food. This is a smart way to change it up.

In this house, since we seem to gobble up all our leftovers, I started with 3 cups of home made stock and a couple of chicken thighs that I diced up, and that was my "soup" ingredient. So come on along, on lets make Bizzy's soup. Just be warned there is a detour, because I got busy and had to start again.........


Spinach Zucchini Soup
adapted from: Bizzy B Bakes

3-4 cups of homemade meaty chicken soup
OR 
3 c chicken stock (homemade bone broth if possible)
meat from 2 chicken thighs diced    (This part is where I ran into trouble, during the simmering of the chicken meat in the chicken stock, I got busy with other things and before you know it, the stock had simmered away and I was left with brown knobs of chicken jerky, not soup!)

2 c vegetable broth*
2 c water
1 onion chopped
1-2 cloves garlic minced
1 T olive oil 
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
1 c sliced carrots

1 can of cannellini beans, drained
3 c baby spinach or equivalent from your garden

2 T fresh lemon juice

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft and beginning to brown. Add all ingredients to stock pot through carrots, simmer 1 hour.

Add drained beans and spinach, cook 5-10 minutes, stir in lemon juice and serve. 

* you could use all chicken stock if desired.

Recipe rating;  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

Thanks Bizzy, this will taste great as part of our dinner.

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop by.
I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

5 comments:

laurie said...

wow this is so good,

Pam said...

Brown knobs of chicken jerky! Not a good thing :)

kitchen flavours said...

A lovely bowl of soup. Looks good and comforting! Such a fun blog hop! Am thinking about it... :)
Have a lovely week, Melynda!

Brenda said...

I've really grown to love soup, especially since starting my blog. I never used to be a soup lover for some reason but I just love it now, all year long too, not just in cold weather. This looks delicious and comforting!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

deadline or no deadline this looks amazing! So rich and delicious and just brings comfort to your heart