Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Garden Tuesday, successes and failures

I am fairly new at gardening, and have spent a lot of time and money for very little return. Sounds like a complaint, but gardening is a hobby and hobbies are usually not free. Thankfully it is a hobby, because we would starve if I had to count on what I grow to see us through the winter.

Here is a bit of a recap on some of those successes and failures.


The berries failed, no strawberries or raspberries. Blueberries produced well, but they are quite sour this year. Definitely pie material, or maybe a batch of jam, but too sour for fresh eating.

The basil did fine, I will probably get one batch of pesto from this container plant. That Dusty Miller in the back is going to be transplanted, it is one of my favorites and this is it's second year.


The shredded brown paper for mulch is a success. It is also easy to make, store and use. All tasks that can be accomplished by children, as a group project. The shredder part will need adult supervision, but kids love using a shredder, so expect them to be thrilled to help with that part, my granddaughter is!


And after 3 changes, the rhubarb is finally happy. This is definitely a success, and one I am the most happy about. Yes I adore rhubarb, but I am happy I did not give up, this makes me aware that I can master those berries too!

Because we have several more weeks of warm weather ahead of us here, we will be having Rhubarb Pie at Thanksgiving along with that Blueberry Pie.

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop by.
I appreciate your visits and your wonderful comments!

This post is shared with:
garden tuesday @ sidewalk shoes
tuesday garden party @ an oregon cottage

14 comments:

Holly said...

I consider that a huge success. Two pies? SUCCESS!! What's a Dusty Miller?

Sunray Gardens said...

With the heatwave this year I consider anything living a success. Enjoy those pies. :)
Cher Sunray Gardens

Donnie said...

With just the 2 of us I don't garden anymore. I have a meat and potatoes man who when I ask what vegetable he wants he says none...lol...so no sense in doing the work for fresh. You'll get many years out of that rhubarb plant.

Wearinbeads said...

Always a good thing to nurture plants.

Vandana Rajesh said...

Gardening is a great stress buster and it is truly wonderful to see your plants creep out of the soil and grow and mature into adults. Have just started a small kitchen garden with some basil and fenugreek to start with. First time here, you have a really nice blog.

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

I think you did great. Gardens can be "iffy" depending on the weather conditions. Our tomatoes didn't do well this year, but our herbs always do. Keep trying and happy Garden Tuesday.
Sam

Allison at Novice Life said...

Congrats on the Rhubarb! I am hoping to get some in the spring.

Lisa @ My Omaha Garden said...

Oh, your basil looks wonderful. The rhubarb, too. I can so relate to the hobby perspective, and have had mixed results the past few years, too. Here's to next year!

Lyndsey said...

I am glad I stopped by on garden Tuesday. I love checking out other successes and failures in the gfarden. It is a hobby for me too. I love rhubarb and wish we could grow it here in Florida. If you save some of your basil that has flowered you can let it go to seed and then replant it...saves you a little money!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Sucess indeed! Now when am I going to get to try those pies? Hummm...

Brenda said...

Melynda, for some reason I thought you had been gardening for years. You're doing far better than me. I've killed all my herbs so far and just have the cactus left. :o)

Miriam said...

I am an awful gardener, you're much better at it than I am :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Pam said...

Thanks for lnking up! One thing I noticed on your basil are the long flower pods. If you pinch those off, your basil will produce more leaves. Also, harvest, cut it down to about 4 inches, and I bet you'll be able to get another harvest!

meowmeowmans said...

Wow, the rhubarb is really doing well, isn't it? :)