Saturday, July 23, 2011

Nova Scotia Cream Cake






Blueberry goodness and rich sour cream in every bite!

When I first spotted this dessert, I knew right away I wanted to make it! Right now we are using up last years  blueberries, getting ready to put away this year's crop. Although the recipe calls for fresh, I thought I would simply use what I had and adapt.

When I visited Concetta's Cafe I felt right at home, but then she specializes in comfort. Comfort in the meal served, the visit and with making you feel special. Thanks for the visit, and now lets move on to the kitchen, shall we?

Nova Scotia Cream Cake
adapted from: Concetta's cafe
375 degrees

Crust ingredients:
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 cube (1/2 c) butter, sliced

1 t vanilla
1 egg

Combine sugar, flour, baking powder and butter in food processor, process until "crumbly". In a medium large bowl, beat egg and vanilla, stir in the crumb mixture. Mix lightly until larger crumbs form. Place mixture into prepared 9 inch spring form pan.  Press gently.


4 c fresh blueberries (I used IQF blueberries)

Spread blueberries evenly over the top of the crumb mixture.


Topping: 

2 c sour cream
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1/2 c sugar

Beat egg, vanilla and sugar until smooth. Stir in the sour cream. Pour mixture over blueberries.



Spread to cover evenly. Bake 45 minutes, check to make sure top is not over browning. Bake additional 15 - 20 minutes. If using frozen berries, at 45 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and make up to 45 minutes more. Top will be firm and the edges will be golden brown.


Enjoy, and stop by for a nice visit with Concetta, she will make you feel right at home. Now the hard part is waiting for this co cool, so we can have a slice!

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop by.
I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

key words:  blueberries, sour cream, cake, dessert

15 comments:

laurie said...

we make a version of this ,, its summer to me!

Pam said...

Oh my goodness!!!! I want some!

Laraine Eddington said...

I would give something... something very valuable to have this in front of me right now along with a large fork.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

This is something totally new to me. I am loving the sour cream topping! I really would love a slice of that right now!!

Holly said...

Oh My!!! Need this!!! That about sums it up. Going to check out her site now.

Brenda said...

Wow Melynda, this looks so good! I love it, it's different than any cake I've had before. It's totally new to me too. Yum!

Elisabeth said...

Blueberries are my all-time favorite berries.
Such a nice gesture Melynda, to share this amazing blueberry cake, from another great blogger.
Turned out so moist, and delicious.
Great job...thanks for sharing.
Have a wonderful Sunday:D

kitchen flavours said...

This looks so good! I would really love to have some this! All the berries recipes I've been seeing in bloggerland, really leaves me drooling! I need to get some frozen blueberries soon! Thanks for sharing, Melynda,wishing you a lovely week!

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

What a great way to finish up last years frozen blueberries. Can't wait to make this! Thanks

Bizzy B. Bakes said...

This is delicious looking but I don't expect less from you or Concetta.

I am not able to link up at Taste and Create. Something is wrong either with their link or mine. In the meanwhile, check my blog to see your recipe. Sorry about this muddle.

Frugal in WV said...

Great looking pictures! I love blueberries and have been making a number of dishes using them in the past couple of weeks. Your recipe is one I will definitely try, thanks!

Reeni said...

Your blueberry dessert trumps mine! This is heavenly!

Sage Trifle said...

Oh Melynda, that looks so beautiful and delicious.

Concetta said...

Dear Melynda,
I am just speechless at reading your kind words about my blog and recipe. Thank you is hardly enough words to express my heartfelt gratitude - it is more than just featuring my recipe - it is the friendship I have gained. I feel so blessed to have met you and the wonderful Chaya and April.

You have so inspired me - I love the idea of cooking a recipe from another blog. I hope you don't mind me stealing this!

Thank you again for making me feel so special!
Love,
Concetta

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Oh that looks heavenly. Just absolutely melt in your mouth delicious! Wow, new to me but its not going to be for long. So have to make this soon