Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Father's Day and why I love old trucks

My Dad always drove one. It was usually blue or what ever color was left after the sun warmed it for many years. When a rusty spot appeared, out came the "rattle can" and Dad would touch up the paint. It always had a clutch and a choke knob on the dash.

The "pink slip" was kept in a special sleeve on the steering column, and then next year, the new "pink slip" was just slipped in, right over the top of last years. There were no seat belts, and with different laws, it was so fun to ride in the back, with the wind whipping your hair around.

Sometimes just down to the end of the country road we lived on, because we all "begged" for a ride! If Dad had to go to the hardware store or anywhere for that matter, I always wanted to ride along. I love old trucks from those days, and from memories of my Dad.

A toast to you Dad, it's your day tomorrow too. Gone for so long, but always in our lives, you live on in the generations you never got to meet.

My dad, Kenneth A Egger 1923-1968

Happy Father's Day to all the great fathers out there!

To my Honey, always ready to help get the job done, and with technical advice so others may learn. And to our Sons, the new generation of fathers doing a great job!

As always, thanks for stopping by to visit.
I appreciate your time and of course your comments!

key words:  fathers, Father's Day, celebration

9 comments:

laurie said...

that is the coolest old truck,, beautiful,, beautiful story as well,

Joan's Good Life said...

What a loving post. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

Nicely said!

Pegasuslegend said...

Lovely post, and memories, they are the best times of our lives, I truly miss mine everyday, going to visit him today in his final resting place... have a loving day with your family... my thoughts with you... love the truck!

Gnoe (@Graasland) said...

That's cool! It seems easy to make your own labels like that. It's just an ordinary Sunday here since both my husband's and my father have passed away and we don't have any children. So we're relaxing with a good book, enjoying each other's company :)

Wishing you a lovely day!

Brenda said...

Wonderful post, great memories.

Melynda said...

Hello Gnoe, thanks for visiting, but I did not print the label. That bottle of wine was a sweet surprise from my own Honey. He was shopping and brought it home to enjoy. I could not resist taking a photo of it and my trucks.

Holly said...

This reminds me of Grandpas old truck. I can still remember how it smelled, like gas and dirt. Sounds funny but it was a good thing. Hope you have a wonderful day today.

Duncan Moredock said...

Thanks for the story. Trucks from today and the previous generation are made for work - hard, heavy work with aesthetics taking a secondary role. Function was important, and a man like your dad must have used his truck for a lot of work.

He sounds like a cool guy, and thanks for sharing the memories of him.