Monday, June 20, 2011

Take along Pork Chops

Ahhh, the crockpot and I, we are not the best of friends. We usually don't agree, and then one of us falls down on our responsibility. It might be me, letting things cook too long, or it might be the crock and things get too dry. But this recipe turned out very well, and the flavor is quite good.

Thanks to my son, for taking this photo, left my camera at home, what was I thinking!!?

I made these for the Father's day potluck we attended at my sisters house. They were well received with my sister's family as well. While cleaning up we packaged up food for sharing. Honey and I have pork chops and fried chicken to see us through the next couple of days.

This recipe can make a simple family meal, or add more chops to serve a crowd. You can also make the large batch, and freeze some for those nights where cooking is not possible, but you still need to eat a real dinner instead of a bowl of ice cream. Note: when cooking more chops, do not increase the liquid or seasonings.

Take along chops
adapted from: mels kitchen cafe

3 slices bacon, diced
6-12 loin pork chops, bone-in, 3/4 inch thick
salt and pepper
2 large onions, quartered and sliced
2-3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 T brown sugar
2 t thyme, crumbled
2 bay leaves
2 c chicken broth
2 T soy sauce

1 T lemon juice or cider vinegar
3 T cornstarch

Fry bacon until golden, remove and set aside, reserving fat. Remove excess fat from pan, set aside to use if needed, leaving 1 T fat in the pan. Over medium high heat, brown chops until golden, seasoning each side with salt and pepper. Turn, repeat. When brown, layer in the crockpot. Continue browning, and seasoning each chop until all have been browned, use additional fat as needed.


In the same pan, add the onions, garlic and addition fat if needed. Sprinkle with 1 T brown sugar and saute onions until fragrant and golden brown. Add remaining ingredients through soy sauce. Simmer, scrapping up any brown bits. Pour over chops. Cover and cook on low 8 hours, or on high 4 hours.


Carefully remove chops, to platter. Remove and discard bay leaves. Skim excess fat from pan juices. If you want a smooth sauce, drain the onions in a sieve, then puree in a food processor. Pour juices into a 2 qt sauce pan, add the lemon juice, bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch into 1/4 c cold water, stir into the boiling pan juices and cook until thickened.


Ladle some gravy over the chops, sprinkle with reserved bacon and serve. Serve additional gravy with the standard accompaniments, potatoes, rice or noodles.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

This will be my post for the Hearth n Soul blog hop, right here at Mom's Sunday Cafe.

This post is shared with:
These Chicks Cooked Link Party @ this chick cooks

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop for a visit.
I appreciate your time and of course your comments!

key words:  pork chops, crockpot, potlucks, shared meals

12 comments:

Holly said...

Thanks for posting this recipe, they looked so good in yesterdays post I was wondering how you made them. We are big pork chop fans here.

laurie said...

we are pork chop fans here as well, this looks real good,

kitchen flavours said...

The story between you and your slow cooker brings a smile to me! :)
Your pork chop looks delicious, I have never tried cooking anything like this in a slow cooker except for soups! Thanks for sharing, Melynda. Have a lovely Garden Tuesday tomorrow!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Awesome and it's making my mouth water! Incredible

The Country Cook said...

I'm glad you are making peaces with your pork chops..hahaa. Great recipe and your son took a gorgeous photo!

MM said...

My crockpot and I aren't very close either. It's often a rocky relationship.

But I can't resist bacon and the chops look great!

Sage Trifle said...

Those pork chops look succulent and delicious.

Jennifer Sikora said...

Those pork chops looks delish! Think I might make me some soon :)

Candace said...

Your food always looks sooo good and these pork chops are no exception. I can't wait to give them a try. My family is going to love these. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Have a great week, Candace

Sheila said...

YUM!! We love pork chops but I can't remember if I've ever fixed them in the crock-pot. I think I'll have to give these a try--bet we love them!! Thanks for sharing. Take care.

Cindy said...

I think I book marked this recipe on Mel's site. Glad to hear a second opinion! Now I will try them. I too have mixed crock-pot feelings. Done right a good crock pot meal is a life saver. Bad crock pot is well bad! Thanks, and have a great day.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Melynda- Those pork chops sound a look delicious. Your son did a good job taking the picture :) Have a wonderful weekend!
Katie