Thursday, June 23, 2011

Homemade Mustard, Recipe rewind, because some things are too good to miss!

Recipe rewind, because in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. She still posts great food in hopes that the readers will come..........you can also view it here in the archives, Saturday September 26, 2009. But it is better here.....


That little jar looks innocent, doesn't it? Well it is innocent, it has done nothing wrong, but it also happens to be a quart. Yep, you read it right a QUART. Who makes a quart of homemade mustard? Only someone like me, that has no idea when they first begin, actually how to do it.

So here is the confession, I love mustard. I like to do things myself. So the next step was homemade mustard.

After Honey installed the spice racks, I had lots of mustard seed.

When I put the spice racks together with filled jars of the herbs and spices that I use, that resulted in sandwich bags of herbs that were in the jars from the manufacturer. Most of it went into the garbage. But I did save the mustard seeds. In a moment of frugal glory, I thought, make homemade mustard.

There was about 1 1/2 c of mustard seed. No big deal I thought at the time. I poured them into a plastic container and poured the last of the Marker's Mark whiskey (left from several Christmas' ago) over the top, put the lid on and left them alone. I would shake it up every now and again. When they had taken up the liquid, it was mustard making time. During the resting time, I researched mustard making on the internet. What I learned right away, is that it does not take a lot of mustard seed to make a small jar of mustard. My brain began thinking about that 2 cup container of drunk seeds...........

This morning I dumped the whole mess into the food processor. It sure looks like a lot! Then I began to grind and process. Let me tell you this right now, mustard seeds are hard little things, even when they have partied for a couple of weeks.

Another thing I learned is that the ratio is about 3:1. Three parts liquid to one part mustard. I like my mustard on the sturdy side, thick enough that when I dip a knife into the jar, the mustard will mound a bit onto the knife and not run off like a sauce.

Ultimately here is what is in the quart jar,

1 1/2 c mustard seeds
1/2 c Maker's Mark
2/3 c water
2/3 c cider vinegar
2 t salt
2 T French Thyme
3/4 c honey

Grind, age, enjoy.

From here on out, I will follow a recipe. Well for mustard anyway!

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and visit.
I appreciate your time and of course your comments!

This post is shared with:
full plate thursday @ Miz Helen's country cottage

key words:  mustard, homemade, frugal

14 comments:

Pegasuslegend said...

I love mustard too this is great never tried it!

Brenda said...

I love the bit about the mustard seeds partying, lol. Good job!

laurie said...

Ibet this is delicous,, we go through alot of mustard, it would get eaten here no problem,, looks great,,

Holly said...

I never would have thought that the seeds would need to "party" for a while. How long do you think it will take you to get through that quart?

Laraine Eddington said...

I'm so glad you don't have to grind with a mortar and pestle, sweat dripping off your brow. I wonder if you can make good mustard out of mustard powder?

Sage Trifle said...

I have 4 different types of mustard in the fridge right now so this one would fit right in.

Candace said...

I have never considered making my own mustard. What a fun idea! I absolutely love mustard so this might be a new project for me. Thanks!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Homemade mustard has been on my hit list for a LONG time. I need to just make it! Love the idea of soaking the seeds in whiskey. Great idea and flavor!

Tiffanee said...

So glad you brought this one back!! It sounds so delicious!! Now I need to make me some!!

Erina said...

Those tiny seeds sure have a lot of spunk! I appreciate you saying in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. I am a new blogger and I guess everyone starts the same way! I enjoy your posts. Fun to read.

Miriam said...

That's awesome! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Kitchen Belleicious said...

that looks awesome! I love mustard, any and all of it and never made it myself so this is a first fo rme to even hear of doing it. I can't wait to give it a go! thanks for the rewind or else i would have missed this!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda,
I sure am glad you brought this one back it is a great recipe. I am going to try it very soon. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and I look forward to seeing you again real soon.
Have a great week end!
Miz Helen

Our Italian Kitchen said...

Love it! Everything tastes better made from scratch! Great blog!