Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Garden Tuesday, still have rain

This is the climbing rose that was on the side of the house. The side of the house that did not get watered. The side of the house that did not get watered or was considered part of the garden. The side of the house, where it was dieing. So I moved it. I was not certain it would survive, but I knew it would not survive on the side of the house. I shall call this a success.

Interestingly enough, with all the rain, I have been concerned about there being water for the birds. I am real good about putting food out, but water not so much. While out thrifting, I found this tea light candle holder, a perfect drinking cup for the birds.

The weeds have won, no doubt about it. I think this is bound to happen when there is rain, rain and more rain, with no time to weed between rain showers. I have also come to realize I must work smarter not harder in the garden. Enter mulch. I am going to continue to compost in place and lay a thick layer of mulch over everything. Brown paper and news paper will be shredded and used as a top finish. Shredder also found while out thrifting.

How sad is this, a weed is growing through the bottom drain hole of an empty planter pot. For Pete's sake!

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your time and of course your comments!

This post is shared with:

Garden Tuesday @ sidewalk shoes
Tuesday Garden Party @ an oregon cottage
cottage flora thursday @  fishtail cottage

Key words:  garden Tuesday, roses, mulch, compost

15 comments:

Holly said...

Glad the roses are going to make it. Don't forget to water that weed in the pot.

Cindy@OldTimePickers said...

Cute idea for using the tea light holder for the birds to drink from!

Brenda said...

Yeah for the rose! And yes, don't forget to water the weed, lol!

laurie said...

what a lovely rose and I know the feeling of success in the garden, we also added mulch in our beds as well, smartest thing we ever did, oh and the tea light holder,, what a great idea,,

Mary said...

The weather has been a bit much this summer. It is summer, right? I'm sure the birds will flock to your yard for water. I've started pulling weeds in the rain. If they get ahead of me here I'm lost. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Sage Trifle said...

Yes, we have a "side of the house" too. ;-) The last time I even looked over there, there was a ground cover of ivy. Fine.

shopannies said...

love roses happy to see yours are doing great we have been having lots of rain here as well while I love the water the plants are getting I am getting a bit scared we may have too much

Wearinbeads said...

I love to visit Vancouver. It is so GREEN! I need to work on the much idea.

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

I love the rose, and the tea light holder-bird sipper! My roses got knocked down by our last rainfall here as well, so I will be spending some time trying to tie things back up.

Pam said...

Weeds will grow anywhere. They drive me crazy!

Marjie said...

Stopping by from Pam's.

Glad you saved that rose! It would have been a shame to lose it. At least you'd still have the weed.

kitchen flavours said...

The roses are flowering, how lovely! And the birds will be so grateful that they will make your garden extra special by being there! :)
I have not been doing much gardening lately as the weather is unbearingly hot these few weeks! Some of my plants have wilted, need to do some work in my garden soon, it is turning into a mini mess area!
Enjoy your gardening, Melynda!

The Tidy Brown Wren said...

I love the creative use of your thrifted treasure. I'm sure the birds will love it.

Beth said...

What a lovely place for the birds to drink!

Fishtail Cottage said...

Thanks so much for linking your garden post to Cottage Flora Thursday's - happy your rose is going to make it! xoox,tracie