Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Garden Tuesday, squirrel proof?

My Honey is frustrated with the squirrels, me not so much, I think they are rather cute and fun to watch. But Honey is a "bird guy", he is having a good time identifying the birds that come to eat. The problem was, the birds did not get a chance to eat, the squirrels always beat them to the chow! So he set out to make a feeding station that was squirrel proof.........





He took a long wire and strung it between the two large trees in the backyard. Then attached 2 open feeders to the wire, so far so good! There have been a variety of birds and a few squirrels that have attempted to "walk the wire", but the birds are winning with this one!

 yes, I did forget to get my photos last night, so these are 5:00 am photos!


Shredded brown paper bags work great as top mulch for weed control. For stubborn areas, I might lay down several layers of plain newspaper (no glossy inserts) moisten the newspaper then cover the top with the brown shreds and moisten again. If you use a soaker hose, all of this goes over the hose.

Now I just need to get the rhubarb transplanted into a new bed and see if that helps in any way, I was so looking forward to rhubarb pie.........

As always, thanks so much for stopping to visit.
I appreciate your time and your comments!

this post will be shared with:
garden tuesday @ sidewalk shoes
tuesday garden party @ an oregon cottage
frugal tuesday @ juliecache
cottage flora thursday @ fishtail cottage

key words:  garden, squirrel proof bird feeders, mulch

15 comments:

Melissa @ Frugal Creativity said...

Great idea to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders! My parents have gone through the same headache, but I am not sure what finally worked for them.

Kimberly said...

I do the newspaper but not the shredded brown paper, what a great idea, thanks! My husband complains about the looks of the newspaper looking like trash in our yard and this should help! I owe ya!

Sunray Gardening said...

He is one determined guy. Can't blame him though. The birds are much nicer to watch. Great idea.
Cher Sunray Gardens

kitchen flavours said...

Your Honey is real smart! Hehe! Looks like squirrel proof, alright! Your rhubarb! I hope it grows well, looks promising! I'm still thinking about your grapefruit and rhubarb jam!

Holly said...

I am a squirrel lover too. I say, if they can balance on the wire, let them have it.

juliecache said...

Thanks for linking to the Frugal Tuesday Tip. I like the look of the shredded brown paper a lot. I like the wire for the bird feeders, too. http://juliecache.com/2011/06/27/frugal-tuesday-tip-23/.html

Dee @ Start Dreaming said...

Hehehehe! The lengths we go for the wildlife in our yard! Great idea for the birdfeeders. I hope it keeps the squirrels out for ya so you can see more colorful birds.

Take care,
Dee

Pam said...

We ended up buying some $50 squirrel proof bird feeder, which has worked really well!

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

I never thought to shred brown paper bags for a top mulch--that's a great idea!

shopannies said...

it is so fun to watch a squirrel at work I was just sharing a story with a friend of mine about how my mom has a love hate relationship with them she thinks they are cute but very mischievous

Sage Trifle said...

We have a lot of birds and also a few squirrels and bunnies. Everyone seems to get along just fine. We don't put out feeders but we have never used any kind of chemicals in our yard, so we have lots of bugs and worms, as well as nuts and berries, and general foliage.

My Mother puts out a lot of feeders and pretty birdhouses, like you do, and my Dad hates the squirrel invaders!

Our backyard is pretty wild looking! I'll have to take some photos to share.

~Sara said...

The brown bags look nice! Thanks for linking up to the Frugal Tuesday Tip! Hope you join again.

http://learningthefrugallife.blogspot.com/2011/06/frugal-tuesday-tip-week-23.html

Ruth said...

Just a hint for another covering for the newspaper - I put a layer of grass clippings over the paper - gives it a natural look and holds the paper in place.

mississippi artist said...

Interesting idea about the brown paper, it would certainly break down and nourish the soil. Great idea with the birdfeeder too.

Fishtail Cottage said...

Great tip about the brown paper! Thanks for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's! xoox, tracie