Monday, June 13, 2011

Garden Harvest Swiss Chard

There is a garden where I work. It is an "experimental" garden in the eyes of the gardeners. But it is lovely. I have the pleasure of going each day and taking a peek. There might be a change in what is now sprouted up or what is being harvested.

Here are some highlights,


This strawberry tower made from a plastic
garbage can.











The center core of rocks keeps air moving
 and allows easy watering.










Raised bed of peas and swiss chard.









 I will be cooking some of this!

There are lots of lovely flowers, with roses being a favorite. Not surprising as this is Portland, the city of roses and the rose festival. 




We have had a lot of rain in our area, but they are out there when ever possible. One of the gardeners use to have her own small gardening service, you may remember her.

Let's make some dinner,


Garden Harvest Swiss Chard
by the seat of my pants!

1 bunch of Swiss Chard
1/4 red bell pepper, diced
4 green onions, sliced or 1 thick slice of regular onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
olive oil
sea salt and fresh pepper


De-rib the chard. Cut ribs in thin slices, and green leaves in 1' squares (I prefer square pieces to shreds)


Saute the ribs, red pepper, onions and garlic in olive oil. When fragrant, add the green leaves and 1 T water. Cover and let steam 2-3 minutes.


Remove cover, turn up the burner to cook off any excess liquid and serve immediately with salt and pepper.

Yum!

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thank for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your time and your comments.

This post is shared with:
hearth n soul @ Moms Sunday Cafe
garden variety wednesday #7 @ Ms. enPlace

5 comments:

Alea Milham said...

I think it is wonderful that you have an experimental garden at work! Your Swiss Chard looks delicious. I really enjoy swiss chard - both the leaf and the stem. And it is such a hardy plant, I grow it all winter long. thanks for sharing this and for cohosting the Hearth and Soul Hop.

Brenda said...

I love swiss chard too, but don't eat it enough. I love all those green, leafy veggies. Love the garden! I finally bought an indoor herb garden (that is just sitting in my kitchen - I haven't even planted it yet). I know what my job is when I get home tonight....have a great day Melynda!

MM said...

Thanks so much for linking up with GVW #7! Great addition to the collection of garden-inspired foods. Your strawberry tower is cool--I think I'll try that next year w/ my son. I'm running out of ground space and that's a good solution.

My dad's favorite thing from the garden is Swiss chard. I'll have to make this for him!

Kirstin said...

I love the plastic garbage can planter idea!

The swiss chard dish looks amazing too. I have never cooked with it but would like to try.

A few months ago my family and I went to the Farmers Market at PSU..it was fun sampling so many yummy foods.

Shu Han said...

this is lovely! I wish I had the space for a garden, I likve in a flat and make do with a windowsill garden with little pots of herbs. we have an explosion of basil now (: yum.

http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-officially-spring-i-was-rudely.html