Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Garden Tuesday - our local forecast, shade with a touch of reality

I have come to understand a few things:

it is a good thing that I don't have to grow what we eat,

I really do love those big trees,

I won't be able to grow much, with those really big trees.

I like coming home where it is quiet and earthy.

There are not too many things in this life more earthy than  huge trees. Our back yard is quiet, with patches of shade, beautiful flowers, lots of birds and other cute critters. On the gardening side of things, the yard has too much shade to grow much. On the living side of things, the yard has so much shade it is serene and I enjoy coming home.



These beautiful bushes, bloom in order, the pale pink one is first, then the dark pink and finally the purple one.





I won't be sharing a post about how many quarts of tomatoes I put up this year, unless I bought them from the farmers market. Or how the chard is on it's 5th cutting, or the pea shoots are just right to harvest and stir fry for dinner. Because I cannot grow those things, with this much shade.


No in the coming weeks, I will be pulling lots of weeds, picking a few berries and hunting up a sunny location for those sorry rhubarb plants! Oh, and relaxing a bit in this comfy spot.



And you know, all of this is really OK.

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and visit.
I appreciate your time and your comments.

This post is shared with:
garden tuesday @ sidewalk shoes
tuesday garden party @ an oregon cottage
cottage flora thursday @ fishtale cottage

key words:  garden tuesday, flowers, reality check

21 comments:

Donnie said...

I don't plant vegetables anymore because it's just 2 of us but I also try to plant what will keep coming back...lol....I'm a lazy gardener. I think I'll just relax in that little sitting area you have and watch you work.

Candace said...

I love your comfy spot. I wish I had one where I wouldn't get eaten alive. There are ravenous flying things in New England and I'm their latest delicacy. I've never been able to grow veggies; but this year I'm hoping to change that. If the bugs don't get me first, that is. Have a great Tuesday! Candace

laurie said...

I don't have a garden anymore,, I live in an apartment,, I leave the vegie growing to the pros,, farmers market is my new best friend,, you have a beautiful spot just lovely and i would rather have trees than a garden,,

Holly said...

So you can't grow food in the shade but you can grow weeds in the shade? Does that seem fair? I would prefer the shady trees over chard any day.

KAT said...

sounds like a beautiful backyard. and some yrs I do a garden up big and other yrs i don't it isn't essential to backyard happiness..I like sitting and listening and watching the birds and bugs and bees more than anything else right now.
KAT

Michelle said...

Love that relaxation spot!

Mary said...

I really enjoyed your ruminations this morning. Don't forget the tea to keep you hydrated as you rest in that chair :-). Shade gardens are quite beautiful and often serene. They are a perfect spot to relax. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Wearinbeads said...

Beautiful rhododendrons. I miss them.

Brenda said...

That all sounds perfect Melynda. I don't have a vegetable garden but I do have a cozy place to sit outside in the summer with my book and lemonade. It's one of my favourite ways to spend a lazy summer afternoon.

Zoey said...

As long as you have a cozy spot to relax, that is all that matters. I have no veggie garden either because I have too much shade. I wish I had one, but I have to settle for generous friends or weekly trips to the farmer's market.

Pam said...

The only things I grow to eat are my herb bed, which is in the only sunny spot of our backyard and some hot pepper plants in pots.

Velva said...

You bring a different beauty to the blogosphere. The vegetable gardens are amazing, and I am always in awe. Your quiet shady backyard beauty is awesome too.

Cheers.
Velva

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Your flowers are gorgeous. There is definitely something to be said for a nice, shady yard :)

Corinnea said...

I love your shade! For years I had shade... I do feel lucky to have the sunny spot I have right now, but I can't grow the flowers you have there.

Sunny Simple Life said...

You are so lucky to have big trees you love. I wish we had more on our street.

kitchen flavours said...

Melynda, this is a lovely and comforting post to read. When I have too much sun, I grumble for the shade. When my plants are not growing well under the shade, I'll grumble for a suitable sunny place to place the pots!
What I do wish for right now is a comfy spot like yours!
Enjoy your day, Melynda!

Princess and the Pea said...

Have you tried growing tomatoes in hanging baskets? They do really well. So do strawberries.

Kat

Reeni said...

Your flowers are beautiful! And the shade... yes, please! Your lucky - no weeding - something I despise with all my heart.

Fishtail Cottage said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's! I myself don't have veggies - i do have some fruits (blueberries / strawberries) for the birdies to enjoy! Love your "own spot" & Rhodie's~ So nice to have a shady spot! You have such pretty colors!

Nancy said...

It's taken me a while not to feel guilty about not putting in a big garden. With only the two of us at home, it no longer makes any sense, and I'm okay with that.

Love your blog and your common sense. Visiting from Fishtail Cottage. Have a lovely Thursday! :)

Lavender Cottage said...

We have a very small veggie garden, about 10 feet long by 2 feet wide but I plant it intensely with carrots, beets and beans to feed hubby and I.
Your comfy spot is nice, I like all the candles for ambiance.