Monday, April 25, 2011

Breakfast toast, Too much of a good thing?

On the last Sunday of each month I cook a large dinner. We usually have 2 or more entrees, several sides and of course many desserts. I have been cooking this monthly Sunday dinner for 3 years now. The opportunity to try all the wonderful recipes out in blogland is a lot of fun. Also like any other busy family, we each have jobs and home and lives to manage, so the dinner allows everyone to come together and reconnect.
I have been most fortunate, my family has always supported me in this hobby, and I still love to cook this dinner for them.


But on the other days, all the other days of the month, we usually eat a simple meal. In our home there is a well stocked pantry, refrigerator and freezer. Granted it does not hold everything that could be wanted, but there is always food to eat. No one ever need be hungry here. Through the years I believe I have observed two types of eaters, those who as a child heard:

"What do you want?"

and

"Let's see what we have."


I grew up in a LSWWH home, later became a LSWWH mother and now I am a LSWWH grandmother.  The reason? It does not matter what you want, if we don't have it. So why not start out with working with what you have, that way everyone is happy, including your pocket book.


Even when I am eating alone and that happens often with different work schedules, I simply eat what is available. We very rarely eat out, and when faced with fatigue and hunger at the same time, just fry up some eggs and toast some bread. Real hunger is always satisfied with food.










What you find along the way, is some remarkable food pairings. I think this happens because hunger helps one appreciate the food being eaten. Hunger also seems to sharpen one's taste buds, food does taste better when we are hungry. Using what your kitchen has takes simple foods, paired together to make a delicious meal. Here is an example,

Preserves and Almond Toast
by the seat of my pants

2 slices whole grain bread
butter
preserves or marmalade
sliced almonds

Toast bread, spread lightly with butter, then preserves (peach is delicious here), sprinkle with almonds. Cut into halves to serve.


Serve with a beverage and the day is yours!

Cook with what you have, you won't be sorry. And you just might discover a new family favorite.

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your time and your comments.

This post will be shared with:

Hearth n Soul @ Premeditated Leftovers
Tuesday Night Supper Club @ fudge ripple

Key words: frugal. creative, pantry, toast

10 comments:

laurie said...

by the seat of my pants,, lol,, only way to fly.Oh I love this,, great photos..You must excuse me now ,, I'm hungry,, ha ha

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

You are so right about "let's eat what we have". I have whipped up many a fine dish simply using what I have. Amazing how mny different omelets you can create in a matter of minutes.

Donnie said...

Every one is yelling about the price of gas but the grocery store is one place that can break my budget quickly.

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Oh boy, I know what I am having for breakfast! :)
Glad I found you on Fudge Ripple :)
~new follower
Come see me too

Alea Milham said...

What a wonderful attitude! I am an impromptu cook and I love the wonderful combinations that come out of LSWWH cooking. I think my family will thoroughly enjoy this breakfast. Thanks so much for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

Lisa@The Nourishing Homemaker said...

I just posted about going back to simpler meals. :) I still have to plan, but what I am planning now is a lot less involved. We are now doing eggs & bacon twice a week! The kids love it and it makes life easy for me.

Laraine Eddington said...

This post rang true as true with me. I love your philosophy.

kitchen flavours said...

You are so right, Melynda! Especially in times like now, when prices for groceries are always on the rise, never down, we should cook what we have. I feel happy when I've cooked a lovely meal with whatever's available. Leftover rice can be magical, fried with any leftovers! Thanks for sharing this lovely post! Have a good day!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

LSWWH-Very smart! I always said don't ask a 4 year old "what would you like to wear today", say "would you like to wear the red or blue shirt?". It keeps life simple, as does LSWWH:@)

Christy said...

i have to be a better lswwh cook...i spend way too much time at the market :)! thank you for sharing this great concept as well as a tasty treat with tuesday night supper club.