Thursday, April 28, 2011

Scallion Parsley and Cheddar Bread, Recipe rewind, because some things are too good to miss!

Recipe rewind, because in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. She still posts great food in hopes that the readers will come..........you can also view it here in the archives. Saturday, June 5, 2010.

The New Old Fashioned Life...


I think that is, what is happening. So many things are wonderful about an old fashion life, like time together (without TV or ?), eating together (instead of over the sink), cooking the food you eat (no membership in those take it home places), and a whole host of other old fashion ways, thoughts and simple stuff that suits your own family. Which is why we reminisce about years ago, in so many ways we want some of that today. Like homemade bread.

So lets talk bread, shall we?

For years I avoided purchasing a bread machine. Why? Well the list is quite long actually, but here goes and I request you not judge me too harshly.

1. I know how to knead, and some days I like to knead. It is great for tension relief.
2. I have a kitchen aid mixer with dough hook, for those times I don't need tension relief!
3. I considered myself an old fashion cook, and therefore WHY would I have one?
4. I am stubborn and I had already declared my status of being an old fashion cook, and couldn't change now.
5. Years ago a co-worker brought AMB bread to share, I did not think it was different from store bought bread.
6. Yet I can be wrong, and I was. I have a bread machine now.

Why the change? As I was baking bread I noticed that with the kids married and gone from the dinner table my recipes were out of date. I had stale bread coming out my ears or riding on my hips. Neither place is the right place for bread, by the way. I have been know to purchase specialty baking items from the King Arthur Flour company and I came across the page in the catalog that displayed their stock of bread machines. Being the old fashioned cook that I am, decided to simply turn the page and get on to the serious purchases that I needed, when I spotted it. The line...Why you should purchase a bread machine.

Oh yeah, I thought, really? But I read why, and they were........well they were right. I did not purchase from KAF, instead I purchased the machine I still own today (9+years) on sale at a local store. I was impressed with the machines KAF offered, but what did I know about baking in a bread machine anyway, and honestly felt I should go frugal to begin the journey. This is the line that sold me on a bread machine.

"The perfect kitchen machine to mix, knead and bake a single perfect loaf of bread". Or words to that effect, remember it was 9 plus years ago.

There it was in print, before my eyes, ready for me to take the information in and use it accordingly.
A single perfect loaf of bread, just what I was looking for. A way to make bread and not have it come out my ears or ride my hips! And thus began my partnership with the AMB.

I do not bake in the bread machine. I prefer the additional rise of the dough, after the dough cycle has ended. This allows a shaping of the dough that is what you need for the meal you are serving the bread with. I found personally the pan shape in the AMB was not what I was after, most of the time. I also think the additional rise adds flavor to the finished product. Plus you can start with refrigerated eggs and milk and the dough cycle will warm everything perfectly. However baking in the machine is perfectly acceptable.

Scallion, Parsley and Cheddar Bread
adapted from, The bread Machine Cookbook II
1 c water or whey
2 T butter
1 c sliced scallions, I chop through the sliced scallions to make smaller pieces
1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley, prepared
2 eggs
1 1/2 t garlic salt
2 T sugar or 1 T for water if you prefer
1/4 t black pepper
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
 2 c flour
 2 1/2 t (scant T) yeast
1 c grated sharp cheddar for second step

To prepare the parsley, wash, drain, pluck and squeeze.











Roll leaves in the towel, twist in opposite directions, loop and secure with a rubber band. You want to control all the liquid in bread machine produced dough. Any extra water left behind could affect your dough and the outcome of the finished loaf.

 
Load ingredients into machine in order listed. Press dough cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine, press into a rectangle of approximate 9X13 size, sprinkle with the cheddar.

 I prefer working from a shallow rimmed pan, it keep the working area small. Flour does not go everywhere, and keeps the clean up, to just a few items.

Roll dough up starting at the corner, you will get a rustic free form loaf. Transfer dough to large flat baking sheet, cover with a clean towel. let rise until double in size. The final rise goes quickly, if your house is a bit cool, just find a warm spot. This final rise time should be between 30-45 minutes, depending upon conditions. 











When dough is doubled, slash in a diamond pattern (does not show real well in this photo) and add a little trail of cheese. This is step is completely optional, and simply for presentation.


Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees 10 minutes, reduce to 350 degrees and continue baking 25 to 35 minutes. Let cool, and serve your family with pride.

As always thanks so much for taking the time to stop for a visit.
I appreciate your time and your comments!

This post is shared with:
Full Plate Thursdays @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Key words: bread, bread machine, cheddar cheese, bread stories

16 comments:

Holly said...

I also have a bread machine but hate the weird box-like look of the finished product when it bakes in the machine. Not to mention the hole in the bottom from the paddle. I'm in the mood for yummy bread today. I'll give it a go. I don't have the ingredients for yours but will see what I've got. Plus, I love the way the house smells when it's baking.

laurie said...

this sounds really good,, very yummy.We don't use the breadmaker to bake our bread either,,I really like kneading bread but the bread machine is very handy,, my husband bought it,, he cooks since retiring.

Pegasuslegend said...

Cheddar in bread wow that sounds fantastic! Will have to diffinitely add this to my next bread making list! wow... just perfect! I always make it by hand I have bread machine and hate it!

Annie Jones said...

I used to have a bread machine, but I basically wore it out; it would heat, but it stopped mixing. Not much good after that. I always thought the bread was very inconsistent...sometimes perfect, sometimes it rose too much and stuck to the lid, sometimes it wasn't done inside...all from the same recipe. And like Holly, I didn't like the box shaped loaves.

When it quit instead of replacing it, I started making bread in a KA mixer I bought for $35 at a garage sale. I used that until I wore it's motor out, too. The sold it's parts on eBay for $60! LOL!

I've since replaced the KA with a Bosch Universal mixer. I am now totally sold on both Bosch mixer and the bread I make with it.

I make a triple batch every time I make it...I make one long pullman loaf, which I slice, then freeze half. The rest usually becomes dinner rolls or hot dog/hamburger buns, which I also freeze. I have much better results freezing and thawing homemade bread than I ever did with store-bought bread.

kitchen flavours said...

Gosh, Melynda, I love my bread machine! I would usually use it for the kneading and mixing, then shape it by hand, let it rise and bake the bread in the oven. The one thing I absolutely adore about this machine is the time-setting, so that a loaf of freshly baked bread is ready in the morning, wake up to the lovely smell of bread in the house!

Your savoury bread looks fabulous and sounds really good with the scallion, parsley and cheese! Scallion and parsley smells really nice! Thank you for sharing this lovely bread! Have a good weekend!

Sage Trifle said...

That bread sounds delicious with the scallions, parsley, and cheese. I'll pass on the bread machine.

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

I had also used all the excuses for not having a bread machine. Then someone gave me one. It sat in the box for months. One day I unboxed it and made a loaf of bread that I hated. The next time I only used it for the dough. I haven't looked back. I use it two or three thimes a week. Stubborn is not always good.

I'm making this tomorrow.

Donnie said...

I used to have a bread machine when my son's were teens and able to consume all the sourdough bread I had to make to keep the starter alive....lol...I gave it to the oldest when they got married. Delicious but too tempting.

Denise said...

Love the recipe, I will have to give it a try, I have 5 bread machines, Go read my blog.

www.thebreadfairy.blogspot.com, I have lots of recipes you might like.

Brenda said...

I'm so glad you rewound this recipe Melynda. I do the same as you, I never use my bread machine to bake, I always give it a second rise and then bake it in the oven, but I love that the bread machine kneads for me (I hate kneading). This bread sounds seriously yummy and one I definitely want to try.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

I just love my bread machine too. I agree with you on letting the machine do the work and then letting the loaf rise and bake in the oven. Nothing quite so good as some fresh from the oven bread!

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I often use my bread machine to make the dough and then give it a second rise like that - it's a great idea! Your recipe sounds scrumptious. Thank you for linking it to Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home This week's linky is now open and we'd love to see you there!

By the way, this would be a great recipe to link to Let's Do Brunch. This week's linky is still open...

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

this looks great!

I would like to invite you to link up to "Made it on Monday"..a WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY, I host on my blog.

http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

*link ups are every WED.-SAT.*

Hope to see you soon!

Lisa@The Nourishing Homemaker said...

I love my bread machine. I use it just to knead too. I've heard that not using a bread machine to bake makes it last longer.

This bread sounds wonderful!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda,
Great post, I just love your rewind. Some recipes are just classic in our collection and we can use them over and over and they never get old. I love to make bread, I do have a bread hook on my Kitchen Aide, however I don't own a bread machine. I am sure they are very nice, I am still in the hand kneading mode. Your bread recipe looks delicious, I just love all the seasons and flavor of the recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations Melynda,
You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week, enjoy!