Thursday, April 21, 2011

Berteen's Rhubarb Cake, Recipe rewind, because some things are too good to miss!

Recipe rewind, because in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. She still posts great food in hopes that the readers will come..........you can also view it here in the archives. Wednesday July 9, 2008.

"Cake could help with world peace.", she said reading from the headline!


Not really; but seriously, who can stay made and plan their next attack with a mouthful of cake, cooked just for them?


See, just like I thought.

A warm from the oven cake, with just a hint of tartness that is bathed in a slow river of melting vanilla ice cream or a buttery glaze. 


Gosh think of the billions we could save on our military budget.

And when you lack inspiration; you can always make cake. Why you ask, because dessert is never a wrong choice.


Sometime dessert is the only choice. 


Like when you want to have dinner and a movie for an evening out. But there is not room for dessert after eating your dinner. Why not just have dessert and a movie. You want the dessert, however you feel compelled to eat dinner first, and run out of room. Why put yourself through that, simply have dessert and a movie. It's what you REALLY want to do, so go ahead....indulge. You can eat your veggies tomorrow.


It is no surprise that I have a fondness for rhubarb. Maybe it was my grandmother's influence. She could make anything taste wonderful. She had that kind of honest cheer in her. A skill really of taking what you have, doing your best with it, and enjoying the results with your loved ones.

I think of her often, especially when my inspiration runs dry. I do not remember hers doing that. Oh I am sure she had her moments, but they never showed. She was a wonderful Grandmother. Never afraid, or too timid to try. I am still growing up to be like her.

This cake is in her honor. It is the type of dessert she would make and bring to the table with love. 


Berteen's Rhubarb cake
350 degrees

1/2 c butter
1 1/2 c brown sugar, please do not use dark brown sugar, the flavor will be too strong
1 egg
1 t vanilla

1 t baking soda
2 c flour
1 c buttermilk

2 c diced rhubarb

1/4 c sugar
1 t cinnamon

In large mixer bowl cream together butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. In medium size bowl, stir together the flour and soda. Beat 1/2 the flour mixture into the creamed butter, then 1/2 the buttermilk. Beat well after each addition. Repeat. Stir in diced rhubarb. Spread batter into a prepared 9X13 inch pan. Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over batter. Bake 35-40 minutes or until tests done. Cool on rack. Serve warm with ice cream, or cool with a homemade custard sauce.

Serves 16-20

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello!
I appreciate your time and your comments.

A special thanks to Joy@kitchen flavours! Joy you are one generous lady, and I thank you very much! Once again Joy has offered up awards and compliments to many bloggers, myself included. Go and visit Joy, she offers up some great food with her generosity!

This post is shared with:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Lady Bloggers Tea Party @ Lady Bloggers Society

key words:  awards, cake, recipe rewind, rhubarb cake

19 comments:

Pegasuslegend said...

This is awesome... havent had breakfast yet... I take one of everything please! Happy Easter ... this gets me motivated!

kitchen flavours said...

Ha! Ha! Melynda, this is a great idea! Recipe and post rewind! I remember too when I was new at blogging, there's no visitors other than my sisters! Some of the recipes that I've made was really good, and it is a good idea to share it one more time! All the cakes here look wonderful! Would love to join you for tea!
I am extremely happy to share the awards with you, you are one fantastic lady with a lovely site, and a charming foodie pal!
Happy Easter, Melynda to you and your Honey. Have a lovely Easter Weekend!

Holly said...

Recipe rewind is such a great idea and I'm so glad you're doing it. I too have special memories of my grandparents regarding rhubarb. They lived on a farm and my grandfather would pull me in my little red wagon behind his tractor and then he would always take a sharp turn at the rhubarb patch and dump me in. I loved eating raw rhubarb. I'm keeping this recipe.

Donnie said...

My mil always made rhubarb custard pie but that cake sounds like more my choice. Great recipe.

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

I love your rhubarb cake recipe. But then I love rhubarb anything. Happy Easter.

Sage Trifle said...

As soon as I see some rhurbarb, I'm going to make your cake.

I once heard my Southern Auntie (great aunt, actually) tell someone, "If you ever feel down in the dumps, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake. It will cheer you right up."

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

What a lovely cake to honor your Grandma's memory :) Happy (early) Easter!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I haven't baked with rhubarb yet, this looks great! Thanks!

LeAnn said...

I've long believed that the world would be a better place if women were in charge. Got a problem? Put on the tea pot and get a slice of cake. Everyone feels better. Heads get clearer. The chat that follows clears things up. People stop fighting. A big slice of lasagna does the same thing.

Cindy said...

Lovin the rewind. I am sad to say that I have never eaten rhubarb. What????

Miz Helen said...

Oh Melynda,
What a precious tribute to your Grandmother, she must have been a very special lady. I know that she would have been very proud of you! The cake looks delicious, it is a great recipe. Wish I was there to share a piece with you. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week! Have a very special week end!

Elisabeth said...

Melynda-Such a perfect idea, a recipe rewind...we've all been there with no readers in the beginning. How could anyone not comment on the amazing desserts you've made, and posted. Love each and every one of them.
Your tribute to your sweet grandmother was really touching. You must have loved her very much.
Thanks for sharing!
HAPPY EASTER!
xo

Reeni said...

I love the idea of going right to dessert! I have to admit I've done that once or twice. I bet the rhubarb cake is scrumptious - I wouldn't know because I've never even tasted rhubarb. A shame, I know.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Stopping by fro Lady Bloggers! It all looks so delicous!

a girl who dreams said...

I agree with LeAnn! If more women were in charge we could change the world with dessert! Haha. Just stopping by from LB tea party to say hi!

Do you make up your own recipes or use old family recipes?

a girl who dreams said...

PS - I just saw that you are from Vancouver. I grew up there!!! I live just across the river a little outside Portland.

myinnerchick.com said...

"a slow river of melting vanilla ice cream or a buttery glaze."
You had me on this sentence alone.
MMMMMMMMMM.
Popping in from Lady Blogger...
Glad I did :)

Junker Newbie Stephanie said...

Hi - visiting from Lady Blogger Tea Party! The cakes looks marvelous!I have never had rhubarb, you've got me curious about it now! thanks

Donnie said...

I love food photos especially the cakes..lol...yum.