Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pretzel toffee, sweet, salty and so good!


I am a real sucker for the sweet/salty combination. If you are, you must make this. Or at least remember this recipe, for those times when you need a treat, a gift for others, or a project to work on with someone special.
Me and pretzels go way back, I eat them often. I offered this delicious Roasted Pretzels snack some time ago. So falling hard for this pretzel toffee, was very easy!

Pretzel Toffee
adapted from: My Kind of Cooking

small twist pretzels, a 9oz bag will be more than plenty
1 c butter
1 c brown sugar
2 c chocolate chips, a 12 oz bag

Line a 10X15 inch jelly roll pan with foil. Cover the surface of the foil with pretzels, leaving no empty spaces. Set pan aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


In a medium size sauce pan, melt butter, stir in sugar. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, allow to boil 2 minutes, adjusting heat as needed to keep a bubbling boil. Do not cook longer than the 2 minutes.

This is the boiling stage you want to maintain for the 2 minutes.

Pour butter mixture evenly over the pretzels, carefully place pan into the oven. Bake 7 - 10 minutes.

Check after 5 minutes to make sure the sugar mixture is not getting too dark around the edges.


Remove from oven, sprinkle chocolate chips over the surface.


Let stand 10 minutes, carefully spread chocolate over surface of the candy.


Let cool, then refrigerate to chill. This will assist in breaking the toffee into pieces.


Break toffee, place in decorative bowl and watch the compliments come your way. This is seriously good!


Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always thanks so much for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your time and your comments.

This post is shared with:
Fat Camp Friday @ Mangoes and Chutney
Sunday Potluck @ Mommy's Kitchen
Sunday's at one @ Cocina Diary

and by request:
Sweets for a Saturday @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies

Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen Country Cottage

Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home @ 21 Century Housewife

A friendly reminder:
Cookbook Sundays had moved! From Toronto Canada to Vancouver Washington U.S.A. 

Please join me April 3, 2011 for the first cook book Sunday @ Mom's Sunday Cafe. I hope to see you there. Special thanks to Brenda at Brenda's Canadian Kitchen for sharing this great event.

Key words:  candy, toffee, easy, cookbook Sundays

18 comments:

Brenda said...

I would sit with these in front of the t.v. and eat way too many of them. What a great recipe - incredibly easy but I can imagine how good they are. I'm going to bookmark this - I think they would be great at Christmas too (as you say, gifts). Thanks Melynda!

kitchen flavours said...

These would be so addictive! I think that it would be difficult to stop until the jar is empty! Fantastic way to yummy up plain pretzels. Thank you for sharing!

Holly said...

What time should I come over? You really shouldn't be alone with those!

Sage Trifle said...

I love sweet and salty also and these sound very delicious. Enjoy your family today. They will love these and all your food, I'm sure.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Drool...salty sweet chocolate, enough said!

I'm Cindy said...

I love sweet and salty!! keeping this recipe for sure.

Donnie said...

Sweet and salty is perfect for me too. This sounds delicious.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

That pretzel treat sounds so good. Salty and sweet isthe best! I think it would be too dangerous for me to make these because I would want to eat ALL of it!

Lisa said...

I've seen the saltine cracker version of this but I like your pretzel version so much better. I know I'd enjoy that sweet-salty combo. I'd like to invite you to stop by and link it up to Sweets for a Saturday #10. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

Lisa@The Nourishing Homemaker said...

Wow! Melynda, you are a woman after my own heart. I love toffee and I love sweet and salty. I am going to save this one for when I want a treat. I may even hide it from the kids :)

Walking by Faith said...

Mmmm.... I'm a sucker for the sweet n' salty combo, as well!

I'm your newest follower! Stop by my blog sometime--I'd love to have you as a follower, as well! Also, feel free to enter the two giveaways I am hosting this week. :)

morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

Melynda said...

This is sooo good, especially for the easy recipe it is! I hope everyone tries this, it does make for a nice little extra on the dessert table.

Melinda said...

Frantically trying to come up with a good excuse to make some of these - maybe just 'cause is good enough! :) Yum!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda,
I sure hope that you have saved an extra portion for me. These little treats are awesome and I would just love them. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Thanks for posting this recipe, mentioning my blog, and the link! I am going to mention your blog on Friday.

Thanks Again!
Linda

Amy said...

This is such a simple and delicous treat!

I'm hosting a wonderful tea sampler GIVEAWAY! Come check it out when you have time.

http://utry.it/2011/04/two-leaves-and-bud-tea-company-product.html

Amy
http://utry.it

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

What a lovely recipe! Definitely perfect for gifts or for treating yourself! I've bookmarked it, and thank you for linking it up with Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home!

Christine's Pantry said...

I'm like you, sucker for sweet and salty.