Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Proof of Spring!

The clocks were reset a couple of weeks ago, but that did nothing to assist Spring in coming to my town. How about yours? Strawberries started appearing in the produce section of my local market, but that also did nothing to assist Spring in coming to my town. Yours? We are still having constant rain, and I know that will not assist Spring in coming to my town. What do you think?

But then on Sunday when I was getting the house tidy in preparation for our 2:00pm dinner, I noticed something strange in the dining room. I had placed the gardening gifts received from my sister right by the back door, where I could see them, and get them planted. But with the previously mentioned rain, that little chore has not  happened yet. As I was getting ready to take the items to the garage, I noticed it right then and there, Spring!


The rhubarb is already growing, in the bag! The poor little one on the far right is not going to make it, but the bigger one will. Honey opened the bag, and I knew right away I had found it.....proof of Spring. Now if only I can get this stuff to grow for me, once it is in the ground, I will be a happy woman.

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your time and your comments.

This post is linked to:
Garden Tuesday @ sidewalk shoes
Cottage Flora @ Fishtail Cottage

key words: spring, rhubarb, garden

16 comments:

Terri said...

I am visiting from Pam's! I have never tried to grow rhubarb. I don't think I liked it as a kid but I didn't like brussell sprouts either and now I love them!

Pegasuslegend said...

I have a friend that had rhubarb grow every year and she love it.. after several tries its just not for me not even mixed with strawberry but I somehow love the look of it and your right spring has sprung!

Donnie said...

My mil always made rhubarb strawberry pie and it was delicious. It definitely is a sign of spring.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Good luck with your rhubarb, its a fairly hearty plant so you should have success! Can't wait to see what goodies you create from it once it grows :)

kitchen flavours said...

What a delightful find. May it grow healthy with fat rhubarbs for your dinner table! :)

Sage Trifle said...

It has been rainy, dark, and chilly for several days. This morning, it was 32 degrees. But the birds and plants don't seem to mind. The grass is green, the birds are singing, and flowers are blooming everywhere. I hope you can get your rhurbarb planted soon.

Pam said...

I can't believe it started growing in the bag! Thanks for linking up!

Val said...

I heart rhubarb. Your going to enjoy it.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

It is definitely nice to know that spring is coming. How funny to find it inside your house :)

Brenda said...

That is so cool Melynda, lol! Love it! Well, we've had lots of sunshine since our snowstorm last Wednesday, but it's been COLD! I think finally tomorrow we'll be at normal temps for this time of year (46F). It seems like spring it taking forever though. Sigh......

LeAnn said...

Being a little competitive by nature, I'm kind of enjoying that our town is breaking all sorts of records. Have you watched that? Days of measurable rain, close to an all time record for inches in March. We haven't yet reached 60 degrees in March which is unusual. But Gees! I'm getting Vitamin D deficient already! Just a couple of bright days isn't too much to want. BTW, I just love rhubarb. This year, I'm planning on introducing it to the kiddos in pies, breads, etc. Reminds me of all sorts of happy things. I'm hoping to pass that along. I'm sure your new start will do well for you.

Marjie said...

Popping over from Pam's! I've never grown rhubarb, and my garden is still growing icicles *sob*. I do love a nice rhubarb dessert!

shabby girl said...

You may have to go out and plant that in the rain! It wants to LIVE!

Joanna said...

Very sweet to see that little rhubarb trying so hard. I've never had success with it, not sure why.

Holly said...

Spring has sprung here, unfortunately, it sprang right into summer. Looking at temps in the mid 90's this week. I will always remember that great week of Spring 2011.

Fishtail Cottage said...

Don't you just love to see spring arrive? I've never grown anythin so fancy! Thanks for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's & excited to see what you will share next week too - xoxo, tracie