Monday, March 21, 2011

Manhattan Clam Chowder, from pantry and fridge













Crushed thyme, golden brown bacon and dry white help flavor this delicious chowder. It is full of vegetables, a complete meal. Add some crackers or bread and fresh fruit, dinner is complete.


The weather is changing, but it is still a very cold beginning to Spring! But I am ready for a bowl of something a tad bit lighter in content, yet hot and steaming, this chowder will do the trick. This is also a great recipe because you could make this at any time, the ingredients are readily kept in most well stocked kitchens. This cook also be prepared up to adding the clams, chill, then finish when you get home for a super speedy meal.


Manhattan Clam Chowder

adapted from: What to Cook, when you think there is nothing in the house to eat!
by:  Arthur Schwartz
Serves 3-4
see below for update: a cooks wisdom

2 slices bacon - diced small
1 c diced carrots
1 c diced celery
1 c diced onions
2 c diced potatoes
1 - 28 oz can Italian plum tomatoes, reserve juices, chopped
1 c clam juice, water or chicken broth (not bouillon - too salty) - I used 1/2 c water and 1/2 c dry white wine
1/2 t dried thyme
scant 1/2 t garlic salt
fresh ground pepper
2 - 6 oz cans chopped clams, do not drain

In a medium sized saucepan fry bacon until golden brown, remove to drain, reserve the bacon fat. Add the diced carrots, celery and onion to the saucepan.



Saute over medium heat until tender about 10 minutes.


Add potatoes, mix well and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes along with the juice, clam juice or chosen liquid, thyme, garlic salt and a few grinds of pepper.


Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes. Add the clams and the juice along with the reserved bacon, heat until pipping hot. Serve with oyster crackers or biscuits.

a cooks wisdom:  increase clams to 3 cans, increase bacon to 4 pieces, drain 1/2 fat before sauteing vegetables, do not use any water - use 100% of any liquid chosen, increase simmer time to 45 minutes.
Serves 4. Now you have a flavorful dinner!

Here is a preview of the new button, for Cookbook Sundays@Mom's Sunday Cafe. I alas was unable to complete this project without the assistance of my son, a huge thanks goes to him for his help! And I love this button, this is a photo from my collection of cook books.

With this task cone, it looks like we are in "go" mode, for the first Cookbook Sunday on April 3, 2011. I hope to see you there!
As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your time and your comments.

This post is shared with:
hearth n soul @ a moderate life
blue Monday @ smiling sally's

key words:  pantry meals, chowder, easy meals, soup.

13 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing your blues.

Happy Blue Monday, Melynda.

ann@Apples and Twinkies said...

I love clam chowder and this looks like wonderful!

Sage Trifle said...

The soup looks good and so does your button. Great to have a talented son.

Jingle said...

awesome,
lovely blues.

Hazelicious929 said...

I smell good food here. Very yummy! I had vegetable soup last week. Perfect for a gloomy weather. I heard we will get snowstorm for 2 days. Yay! Mine is up - My Blue Monday

kitchen flavours said...

This looks like a delicious comforting soup, by increasing the bacon would make it more comforting!
Ha! Ha!
Your badge looks great! Look forward to the first Mom's Sunday Cafe Cookbook Sundays!

Brenda said...

Melynda, I LOVE your new button!!! You and your son did a great job. I only have one problem with your chowder. I'm not sure I want to give up 1/2 cup of white wine, lol! Snowstorm coming here tonight/tomorrow. *Heavy sigh*. Have a good one!

girlichef said...

Manhattan Clam Chowder is one of my top five fave soups...I almost made some yesterday, actually. Your version sounds delicious!

Holly said...

My husband loves clam chowder. I, on the other hand, do not. He only gets it when we go to a restaurant since I've never made it. I don't have an excuse now. I like your button. Nice choice!

Pegasuslegend said...

I have no clue how I missed this post! Thankfully looked back... this is one of our favorites and boy does your ever look fabulous~ awesome soup here~

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

a moderate life said...

Melly baby! Ok, so you have to go to the airport in about 10 hours and pick up the guy who will be holding the sign that says, I came for your chowder! That will be my husband! I never learned how to cook seafood because my mother was deathly allergic. At best I can unfreeze shrimp or boil a lobster, but trying something like chowder? He loves it so, maybe I should try! Your version looks like Manhattan clam chowder to me, but he likes them all! thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop! Big hugs! alex

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Your recipe for clam chowder sounds delicious - and I love that it can be made with things from the pantry! I like that it has tomatoes in it as well - I've only had the kind that is just creamy. This sounds lovely, especially with the thyme. Yum!