Friday, March 25, 2011

Lemon and Mustard Salad Dressing

If I got to live in a perfect world, I would serve a crisp salad each evening with a freshly made salad dressing, and never purchase another bottle of the stuff. But alas my world is not perfect and even I get tired of salad every night. The homemade salad dressing part? That I can do. There will however be that ever present bottle of Wishbone Italian dressing that Honey believes is absolutely the only dressing that should go on a salad, ever. OK Honey, but take a look at this........

I know, parsley again? Yes and for a good reason. Most salad dressings and vinaigrette, are very high in fat content. Good quality olive oil is wonderful, and we need healthy fats in our diets. But lets be honest, we don't have a problem getting enough fat in our diets here in this country. Maybe the right fats, but certainly not enough fat. Enter parsley, and a host of other ingredients, these ingredients can take the place of some of the added fat and offer good nutrition in the trade. Your own homemade "light" salad dressing.

Lemon Mustard Salad Dressing
adapted from:  Salad Dressings!
by:  Jane Marsh Dieckmann

1 bunch of parsley, washed, dried, trimmed with a 2 inch stem
1 green onion, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of 1 lemon, strained
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
2 t dijon style mustard, or 1 T of a milder grainy type
1/3 c olive oil
1/2 c buttermilk

Combine all ingredients through olive oil in processor bowl, process until smooth(ish).





 This lovely dressing is delicious over sliced
tomatoes, or steamed and chilled vegetables.









Scrape down sides, add buttermilk, process additional 30 seconds.


Decant into a jar, refrigerate, shake before using. Makes approximately 1 1/2 c cups.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your time and your comments.

This post is shared with:
Pennywise Platter Thursday @ nourishing gourmet
Foodie Friday @ designs by gollum
Tweet Me, Feed Me, Follow Me Home Friday @ the life and times of a 21 century housewife

key words:  homemade salad dressing, parsley, buttermilk, lemon

13 comments:

Pegasuslegend said...

Boy is this ever the freshest. lovely color love the flavors too!

Brenda said...

Melynda, you got me at buttermilk. I love creamy dressings and the buttermilk would add just the right amount of creaminess to this. Sounds yummy (and definitely fresher and less fattening than the bottled stuff). Enjoy your Friday!

Holly said...

Have you been rooting around in my head again? Just yesterday I made a salad and was out of dressing and had to make some but it wasn't that great. I think I'll do this one but maybe substitute the buttermilk for something lowfat. Have a super weekend.

I'm Cindy said...

Mmmmmm, looks so fresh and appetizing.

RSA Certificate said...

This looks great! I much prefer homemade dressings to store bought ones

Pam said...

Love homemade salad dressings and this looks wonderful!

Sage Trifle said...

I think I love parsley as much as you do. I always make my salad dressings and I definately will be trying this one. Thanks for sharing.

Martha (MM) said...

Yummy! I agree with you 100%, salad dressing are just one of those things that are easy to make and beat the bottled stuff hands down any day!!

Donnie said...

That looks delicious and easy too.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Nothing beats homemade salad dressing. I'm always looking for new recipes, so thanks for this one. On the rare occasion that I do use the bottled dressing I'm always shocked at just how bad they really are, and there's just nothing to making homemade if you have a good recipe. I think we'll be having salad for dinner tonight!

Candace said...

Melynda, this looks soooo good! I have enjoyed making my own dressings lately and this is a great recipe to add to rotation. I love the combination of ingredients here. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

Alea Milham said...

Your dressing looks fantastic! Love the rich color too. I have tons of parsley and will not grow tired of learning new ways to use it.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Your dressing sounds delicious. I love the combination of lemon and mustard - and the dressing is such a beautiful colour from the parsley.

Thank you for linking up to Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home last week. I realised I am was not following you on Networked Blogs, so I have now done that! The linky is up again today, and I do hope you will come along and join in. Have a great weekend!