Sunday, February 6, 2011

Brownies with a little bit more!


In past years I have made the brownies from the Hershey's cocoa tin. They are always good, but today I am cooking Bittman. His brownies are straightforward and chocolate-y! I will be adding a little something to his recipe though, a touch of leavening. With the added moisture from the fruit, I am concerned the brownies will be too fudge-y and not as good. He also gives suggestions at the bottom for a few variations. Combine that with the cranberries and orange zest waiting in the refrigerator and you have something a bit different, but I think will be totally delicious. And besides, my frugal heart will not allow me to toss those spent berries and zest.

These are some good brownies!
Honey had a piece for his lunch break, and I just had a small bite with coffee, and Bittman done good!


Brownies with Cranberry and Orange Zest
from:  How to cook everything
by, Mark Bittman

Brownies
350 degree oven

1 stick butter
3 squares chocolate, chopped coarse

1 c sugar
2 eggs
1/4 t vanilla

1/2 c flour plus 1 T flour
pinch or dash of salt
1/4 t baking powder

Cranberries and zest from the Cranberry Liqueur
1/2 c walnuts - optional

Chop the chocolate, set aside.

 
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chocolate, turn off the burner and allow chocolate to melt, stir as needed. Let cool until comfortable warm to the touch.



Beat in sugar, eggs and vanilla.









Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl, whisk to combine. Whisk into the chocolate mixture, whisk until smooth.


Fold in the cranberries.


Turn out into a 9 inch prepared ( butter and dust with cocoa power) spring form pan.


Cover top with chopped walnuts.

 

Bake 22-25 minutes or until middle is firm and tests (almost) done.





Let rest 15 minutes, carefully run a thin spatula around the inside edge of pan. Remove ring and allow to cool completely.


Serve in wedges with ice cream or whipped cream.

Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

This post is shared with:

Cookbook Sunday @ Brenda's Canadian Kitchen

Tackling Bittman @ a moderate life

16 comments:

Michelle Stiles said...

Nice! Can I have brownies for breakfast? I just won this cookbook, I can't wait for it to come!

ann said...

Oh, Melynda, these look great. I like brownies in wedges!

Brenda said...

Melynda, I'm seeing this cookbook EVERYWHERE today!! Mother's Day is too far away so I think I'm going to have to treat myself again. :o) What a fabulous idea to add the cranberries and zest to the brownies. Thank you so much for sharing with Cookbook Sundays and enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Pegasuslegend said...

I love love love the little bit more!

Elisabeth said...

Hi Melynda, I still have Mark Bittman's book in front of me. I will be sure to make these wonderful and yummy brownies. Such a nice treat, to cut them into pretty wedges. Now, I will just link it back to Brenda!

Hoosier at Heart said...

I never would have thought to put cranberries and orange zest in brownies. I just got home from the grocery where I bought craisins, 2 for 1. Was planning on doing orange cranberry cookies but I might have to try this! Thanks for sharing Honey and enjoy your weekend.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Hi Melissa - I've seen Bittman's Brownies around a few blogs over the last 6 months or so, and keep meaning to try them - so thanks for the reminder. I especially like the cranberry & orange zest treatment & as for using the zest out of your cranberry liqueur - that's inspired!!

Thanks so much for sharing these with the Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop.

Sue xo

Donnie said...

I have heard a lot of bloggers mention Bittman's recipes. They sure look good.

Miriam said...

Oh, I do SO love brownies. You're always sharing good looking recipes :). Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Sage Trifle said...

I also made brownies today. I wish I had seen this post first. I really love the idea of using a springform pan and cutting them into wedges. Also the cranberries and zest sound delicious.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Yum! I love the idea of brownies made with real chocolate and the added orange zest sounds great too.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Melynda,
This brownies looks really good. Love cranberries, my favourite next to apricots, I can see that this is definitely a winner! Will have to take a look at Bittman's book, his recipes are in almost everyone's blog except mine! ^..^

Elizabeth said...

I have been meaning to try some of his recipes, these look quite tasty!

Reeni said...

I know these are scrumptious! Chocolate and cranberries are a surprisingly delicious combo - like the orange zest too - that's a nice touch.

Donna said...

Thank you by stopping by my blog! These brownies look A-MAAAAZING! :)

Sweet and Savory said...

I made these and loved them but adding the cranberry takes it over the top. I have to try it this way.

I have used orange with chocolate before and I know how the zest breathes life into chocolate.

Thanks for linking this to Tackling Bittman.