Monday, February 14, 2011

Parsley, Garlic and Almond Pesto

A simple salad of quartered tomatoes, sliced cucumber and croutons, tossed with 
Parsley, Garlic and Almond Pesto.


I like parsley, and have spotlighted it in a few previous posts. If you would like you may see the posts for Parsley pizza dough, or a Parsley Cucumber salad and Parsley Yeast bread, by visiting the links provided.

Is it not surprising that I would use parsley in this Make it with.......Monday post, actually requiring almonds! I guess that is how I roll here in Vancouver USA!

This pesto is different than standard basil, yet fresh and delicious. It would make a great spread on a sandwich instead mayo or mayo on one side and pesto on the other! Add some turkey or ham, sliced tomatoes and anything else you might require in your sandwich, then enjoy! It is also delicious in the usual pesto places, over pasta, stirred into soup, folded into cooked rice for a shockingly good dish.

Parsley Garlic and Almond Pesto
by the seat of my pants

3 bunches parsley - I used 2 curly leaf and 1 flat leaf


4 large cloves garlic - minced

 I make minced garlic logs and freeze them. When I need garlic, I slice off what I need and return the remainder to the freezer. These are very handy, and save peeling fresh garlic each time garlic is needed.
2 t salt
1 1/2 c sliced almonds - spread out on a sheet and toasted until fragrant and beginning to turn golden


1 c Parmesan cheese - yes I really do use the green cardboard can kind
1 - 1 1/4 c olive oil
1/4 - 1/3 c water

Wash, shake and pluck leaves from parsley. Lay out on a towel, roll up and twist in opposite directions and fold in half, you want to dry the leaves as completely as possible.













You should have enough leaves to fill your processor bowl.


Add salt, garlic and almonds. Add 1 c olive oil and begin processing.


Stop motor, scrape down sides, add remaining 1/4 c oil and the cheese. Process until all ingredients are mixed and a paste has formed.

 
Add water slowly while running processor motor, and when a creamy texture is achieved, stop adding water and stop the motor.

Scrape down sides of bowl and package for keeping.
Males approximately 3 cups


I prefer to keep my pesto in the freezer, I have found a sharp knife easily cuts a slice of pesto to use. Laid on hot pasta or in a bowl of soup it melts almost immediately. Keeping the pesto in the freezer keeps it bright green in color and fresh in flavor.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your time and your comments.

This post is shared with:

Make it with almonds Monday @ Couscous and Consciousness

Tuesday Night Supper Club @ fudge ripple

Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Pennywise Platter  Thursday @ the nourishing gourmet

Foodie Wednesday @ daily organized chaos

24 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

I like this with the almonds - bit different and super tasty!h

kitchen flavours said...

This pesto sounds great. It has all the ingredients that I like, and I bet they smell extremely fragrant! Thank you for sharing this lovely pesto!

Pam said...

minced garlic logs?? Details please.

Ms Bibi said...

I love your pesto. I don't like pine nuts so this is a winning combination for me.

Donnie said...

That looks really good. Have a great day.

Marguerite said...

This pesto looks fab! Thanks for the great recipe and for stopping by. It's nice to meet you!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Hi Melynda - I'm so glad you posted this. I have been thinking about some almond pesto and wondering what herb I might use with it - parsley sounds great. I have to try this. Now I'm really interested in your minced garlic logs - how do you do those?

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Ooops, forgot to also say, thanks for sharing with Make it with ... Mondays, challenge almonds.

Sue xo

Pegasuslegend said...

Congrats to this perfect recipe its fabulous!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This pesto sounds wonderful! I love that you made your own. I want to try to make some from scratch too. I can't wait for warmer weather so I can get my garden going!

laraine@eddfam.com said...

Mmmmm, another way to use the parsley in my garden. This really appeals to me.

scrambledhenfruit said...

This looks great! I love that it stays green in the freezer. So good to have on hand! :)

Sage Trifle said...

I love parsley too. Your pesto sound delicious and bet it would also be good with walnuts.

Elisabeth said...

Melynda- I really appreciate all your good tips. I never froze my pesto, but from now on I will. Your salad is ever so fresh, colorful, and delicious.
It's so weird how I make pesto, but always use pine nuts. Almond sound wonderful, and surely adds a yummy flavor.
Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's

Nicola (Which Name?) said...

Oh, yum!

Candace said...

Your parsley pesto looks so fresh and delicious! How do you make those garlic logs?! How interesting!

Christy said...

this recipe is fantastic...but i am enamored with the garlic roll...i have never thought to do that! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

Reeni said...

I love any and all kinds of pesto! I've used parsley before with walnuts - totally delicious! Your garlic log is genius.

Mexico in my kitchen said...

Love the idea of the minced garlic roll. I use a lot of garlic in my everyday cooking and this will be something that can cut time.

Thanks fro sharing.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda
There is nothing like a great salad with a pesto. I will be using your Pesto recipe with many different dishes, the parsley and almonds sound so good to me. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday for us to enjoy and please come back!

Paula A. said...

Thanks for the great recipe. Could you please explain in more details how you prepare the garlic roles for freezing. Sounds like a great idea! Thanks, Paula.

Amy said...

Wow, that's a lot of herbs and I'm loving it! :) Gotta try your recipe soon.

Amy
http://utry.it

Brittany @ Real Sustenance said...

Sounds fantastic!!
Hope you will share this recipe at next weeks Seasonal Sunday Event!

Happy Friday!!

-Brittany-

allenaim photography and design said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm love pesto!!1