Monday, February 28, 2011

Pizza Sauce, from your pantry

I like to do it myself, most of the time anyway. However I like being able to do it myself, even more. I don't care to get caught up in reliance upon others (things or people) for everyday living.There is a lot of "hurry up and wait" with that option. This is especially true in the kitchen. A few basic skills and a sense of wonder, coupled with my desire to be independent, is how I like things to roll. And I can usually produce what we want, or at least what is acceptable.

We had homemade pizza for our dinner on Sunday. When I went to the pantry cupboard there was no tomato sauce. Around here tomato sauce is usually purchased as part of a recipe that is planned for, except for that lone can in wait for "those times" and apparently I had already used it! Not wanting to send Honey back to the store a third time (yes He did go twice, short story, I forgot the pizza cheese on the supplies list, for Pete's sake!), I improvised.

And as luck would have it, this is now our pizza sauce. Worth the little bit of extra time, and the bonus? I always have cans of diced tomatoes, I could not get along without them. This sauce is flavorful with just the right touch of tomato goodness.


Pantry Pizza sauce
by the seat of my pants

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes - do not drain
1 T sugar
1/2 t oregano leaves
1T basil leaves
1/4 t garlic salt
1 T olive oil

Empty tomatoes into a medium sized saucepan.


Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher, to break up.


Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.


Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thick, 30-45 minutes.













 This is at the 15 minute mark. Just beginning to thicken.





 
This is done, 30 minutes. Thick enough to stay
where the spoon pushes it! The smell is so good!




Now your pizza is ready to be made, choose your favorite flavors and bake! Pizza is fun, easy to personalize and then all you have to do is enjoy!

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your visits, and your comments!

This post is shared with:
Hearth n Soul @ a moderate life
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Simple Lives Thursday @ GNOWFGLINS
food on friday @ carol's chatter

A Gallery of Favorites December 2011
                                       ###

14 comments:

Sage Trifle said...

Experience plus confidence allows us to be completely creative in the kitchen. Your pizza sauce looks perfectly delicious.

21st Century Housewife© said...

Excellent recipe with lovely spices - thank you for sharing. I love recipes that use store cupboard ingredients!

Holly said...

I always have petite diced tomatoes on hand too. Isn't there some law or something about having to buy a couple of cans each time you go to the store no matter how many are in your pantry? I'm printing this one out. Thanks again Darlin!

Brenda said...

Love homemade pizza sauce. I have a favourite one but yours looks really good too Melynda. After making homemade for a few years I can't believe I used to buy store-bought. What a HUGE difference. Enjoy your day!

kitchen flavours said...

I just bought a can of diced tomatoes today, after seeing Brenda's lovely homemade sauce. Now I've seen yours too! Looks really good. Got to make my pizza sauce soon. My kids are asking for pizza for the past two weeks! :)

Donnie said...

I think I need to remember how little it takes to make things from scratch. This really has me looking at my pantry differently. Thanks

Elisabeth said...

Melynda-I always keep diced canned tomatoes in my pantry, because there are so many good uses for them. Most of the time I use it for Marinara sauce, and you are so, so right. Do not drain them.
Next time I'm in a pinch for the pizza sauce, and not have my usual thick crushed tomato sauce, that I like to use, I will make it your way. Really, really perfect.

Thanks for sharing. Seriously this is the perfect pizza topping recipe!

Erin @ EKat's Kitchen said...

I haven't made my own pizzas since I was a little girl, but I keep talking about it! I love your sauce recipe...

Also, this week I'm hosting a CSN Giveaway at www.EKatsKitchen.com; I'd love it if you entered!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This looks similar to a recipe I've tried. Yum! Love homemade pizza :)

I'm Cindy said...

I would never have the guts to try that on my own. I need recipes. Now I have one for your sauce. THX

J L Health 918-836-0565 said...

Without a doubt....the very best recipes come from having to improvise in the kitchen....

Great post and thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

Butterpoweredbike said...

This is one of those recipes that everyone needs to know - so much cheaper than buying it! Thanks for sharing your creation with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda,
We all need a recipe like this in our book. I just love being creative with all the goodies from the pantry.Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Alea Milham said...

Your pizza sauce looks wonderful! Homemade pizzas are the perfect pantry food. Thanks for sharing this with the Gallery of Favorites!