Monday, January 17, 2011

Vanilla Rolls, Girl Scouts and door to door sales, oh my!

When I was about 10, I was real hungry for money. I wasn’t greedy but I was kind of needy. I had equipment I wanted and needed to buy, because my Girl Scout troop was going to Jamboree. I loved scouts and at that time in my young life, I wanted everything to match. There was a flashlight in my Dad’s toolbox, and  I could take it to camp, but I wanted the little green one with the Girl Scout logo on it. Also it had a 90-degree bend right at the top and it was really comfortable in my kid sized hand.

I already babysat, and had for years. I started my babysitting apprenticeship right at home, about age seven. I could do everything needed for kids younger than me, and there were plenty of them at my house. I went on to work paid gigs at age 10, even though sometimes I was a bit scared when it was real dark outside and there was nothing left to do. You know after the little ones were sleeping and I had already done the dishes to keep busy.

One day I noticed a little advertising to sell Watkins products. Door to door sales the ad stated, ordering customers on every street. It also mentioned, "no investment necessary". Well that was all I needed to hear, count me in! Let me just say this about that, door-to-door sales are not easy. But I kept at it, going down the block, around the corner, and onward, day after day. I did not get rich, but I learned at age 10, sales were not in my future.  So I did what every kid does, after a while I hounded family and friends. I made enough to get some equipment and then I let that wonderful opportunity go.

But I loved the vanilla extract. To this day, vanilla is still my favorite flavor. When I hear the phrase “plain vanilla” I think, no way. Vanilla is like a smile in your food. It is pleasant, familiar and each time you taste it, you are happy again. 


While out thrifting one day I found this great book, and brought it home. Seeing the book brought back some great memories of my “career” in sales and of going to Jamboree with my Girl Scout logo equipment. Ah the life and times of a 10 year old.

Today lets make Vanilla Cream rolls. I must tell you up front, these are not in any cook book, only an idea or experiment. I wanted something special (you could probably substitute different and that would be OK) and so, they are several techniques and recipes combined to make a very special sweet roll treat. Something very vanilla. My thoughts on coming up with this project went something like this:

Take sweet tender vanilla flavored yeast dough, spread lightly with butter, then sprinkled with sugar and a splash of vanilla, rolled and cut, then lay in a pool of cream, vanilla and sugar. When baked the cream will form a delicate vanilla caramel sauce. After baking let rest a few minutes before turning out of the pan so the cream sauce is on top. 

Lets see what we can do.


Vanilla sweet dough

2 1/4 t yeast
3 c flour
dash salt
1/3 c plus 2 T sugar
4 T soft butter
3/4 c plus 1 T milk
1 T vanilla
1 egg

Load ingredients into ABM in order given, process on dough cycle.

Vanilla Cream Sauce

1 c whipping cream
1/3 c sugar
1 T vanilla


Combine together in a 9X13 pan, stirring well. Set aside.




Vanilla Sweet Rolls


completed dough 
soft butter
small amount of sugar
dash of vanilla


Roll dough into a 9X13 rectangle, spread lightly with butter, sprinkle lightly with sugar, splash a bit of vanilla over to moisten. 


Roll dough up starting from the 13 inch side. Slice into 12 rolls. 

Carefully pick up and place in the cream mixture. Let rise until double in a warm spot, 45 - 90 minutes depending upon the warmth of your kitchen. 



Bake 350 for 30 minutes or until rolls are done. 

 You can see the cream sauce bubbling up between the rolls. The smell is so heavenly!


Let rest in the pan 10 minutes, turn out onto serving tray, letting cream sauce cover rolls. 

Having eaten one, once cooled, they are a bit vague in flavor even with the amounts of vanilla used in each step. This would be a very delicious roll with a bit of cinnamon in the dough and the vanilla cream sauce. But not bad as experiments go.


Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello.
I appreciate your time and your comments!

This post is shared with:

Hearth n Soul @ a moderate life

Make it with Vanilla @ Couscous & Consciousness

17 comments:

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Absolutely ingenius, Melynda - as experiments go that's a whole lot better than "not bad". Definitely a must try. Loved hearing your story - the power of different flavours and smells to evoke memories never ceases to amaze me :-)

Thank you so much for sharing this with "Make it with ... Mondays"

Sue xo

Hoosier at Heart said...

Those sound and look amazing! I am not one for selling either. I always felt guilty selling anything, even if it was something I believed in, like Tupperware. Also, I agree, vanilla is the happiest of all flavors, well, maybe caramel is a little happier.

Donnie said...

Oh my. Bring my coffee quick...lol....great and yummy post.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh My Gosh Melynda Sweetie...
I could smell these rolls cooking before I even got here. Lordy do they every look scrumptous. Makes my mouth water so early this morning.

I am definitely writing this one down. I would love to try my hand at these. Thank you SO much for sharing this morning. A wonderful share indeed.

Your book looks wonderful and I can't wait to see what you share from it.

I loved your sales story. Isn't it amazing what we did as kids then, and what we wouldn't think of allowing ours to do today.

Have a gorgeous week sweetie. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Wow! These rolls sounds wonderful. I love vanilla and I *think* I am going to try to start making my own extract. Thanks for sharing your recipe and memories of a 10 year old :)

Sheila said...

WOW--I love your idea. I have lots of baking ideas but they do not turn out how I picture them in my head. I am not a bake by any stretch of the imagination!! The rolls look so good. You were far more adventurous as a child than I ever was!! Good for you!! Hope you have a wonderful week. Take care.

Swathi said...

Looks delicious, You have lot nice ideas.

LeAnn said...

I think it sounds just great.

Amy said...

These looks delicious! Gotta try them soon.

I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

Sage Trifle said...

What a cute post. And your rolls look beautiful!

Reeni said...

I never saw anything like this! Very creative! And decadent.

kitchen flavours said...

Wow, looks really good. I can imagine the aroma of the vanilla when these are baked! What a creative and fabulous idea! I wish to have a slice of your vanilla roll with my cup of coffee. It would be perfect!

vickie said...

I love your stories and the wonderful recipes attached. The no were not eating this post was great too.

Vanilla -not plain indeed!
vickie
Hearth and Soul blog hop

Ellen said...

Oh, wish I had "smell-o-vision" on my computer! Looks great! Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower! ~ Ellen

Elizabeth said...

I love experimenting with recipes too! This is so creative and looks tasty I bet cinnamon would be a lovely addition!

a moderate life said...

Melly baby, as a girl scout leader of two troops I can tell you that I would have been proud to have you in my troop! Now of course, the girls sell cookies to make money for items they need, but it's mostly mom's selling them! I refuse, so if my kids want anything girl scouty, they have to raise the money themselves, and they all did a fair amount of fund raising for their trip to europe two summers ago! I love rolls like this...but you are right, vanilla is delicious but tends to be an "ambiance" flavor and not the front and center distinct taste...it enhances but does not over bear. That is why I love it! Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! All the best! Alex

prolix said...

Lay your hot pizza pan on a flat surface for easiest and even cutting. Lay on a large wooden board, or an opened large dish towel. Pizza Equipment Sale