Monday, January 31, 2011

Meatballs and Onions in Paprika sauce


Meatballs and Onions in Paprika Sauce
by: the seat of my pants

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 eggs
1 c dried bread crumbs
1 t garlic salt
1/2 c milk

2 c beef stock, divided
1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks, then separated
3 T sweet paprika, plus a bit more to garnish
2 T flour
1 c sour cream

Combine all ingredients until well combined, form into 1 inch meat balls. Place on a try and broil until brown, turn repeat.

Place meat into a large skillet with a lid, scatter onions over the top, add 1 1/2 c of the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3o minutes. Remove lid, return heat to high, and allow liquid to reduce as you prepare a slurry.

Combine the remaining stock with the flour, whisking until smooth and no lumps remain.


Reduce heat to medium, sprinkle the paprika over the meat, then stir in the sour cream. When mixture is hot, stir in the slurry, let mixture simmer until thickened, stirring as needed.

Serves 4 - 6, along with with mashed potatoes or side of choice.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

By request with:
Beat the winter blues @ Goodbye City, Hello Suburbs!

This post will be shared with:
Make it with Paprika @ Couscous and Consciousness

Hearth n Soul @a moderate life

Tuesday Twister @ GNOWFGLINS

15 comments:

Candace said...

This looks soooo good!

Kris said...

Hi there. Thanks for visiting Simplify! I see you arrived via Holly's blog, Hoosier at Heart. She is such a sweet lady! I am going to go check out more of your blog now. Looks good!!!

Jennifer said...

This recipe looks good. I think I'll give this one a try with my family.
Thanks for stopping by recently to check out my cinnamon roll pancakes :)
Jenn

Sage Trifle said...

This looks delicious and like something the mister would really like. I bet it would be good with noodles also.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yum! I 2nd the noodles idea. My husband would go crazy for this, I'm bookmarking it for sure :)

Cindy said...

Thanks for checking into my blog. Holly from Hoosier at Heart is a great friend. I am soooo new to blogging and now I am glad to have found you. Hope you don't mind if I follow you. I am always looking for new recipes.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Looks wonderful, Melynda - I know that would go down a treat in this household! Have to give it a try :-)
Thanks so much for sharing it with Make it with ... Mondays, challenge paprika.
Sue xo

Reeni said...

I just love paprika and sour cream sauces! This looks excellent!

Ashley said...

This looks so yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias said...

This looks so good! We make venison and liver meatballs that we love but the cream sauce would be such a nice addition. Thanks for sharing.

hopped over from Tuesday Twister

ella@lifeologia said...

Hi Thanks for visiting Lifeologia. I love the name of your blog ;) I'll go check out some more of your stuff. xo

a moderate life said...

Melly! I am so laughing because I made almost the same thing with chicken this week! That sneaky Sue has us all mind controlled with her lovely make it with challenges! :) I simply adore paprika now and your meatballs I would gobble them up in a second! Thanks for sharing them with us on the hearth and soul hop! Hugs! Alex

Aurelia said...

That looks really good, and simple to cook too! Those are the first two things I look for in a recipe hehe so I'll try this out sometime. Thank you for sharing it :)

I'm also taking part in the Hearth & Soul hop and that's how I found your blog.

Elisabeth said...

Hi Melynda-Never tried paprika sauce with sour cream, on meatballs. Of course, I use Hungarian paprika in everything, I would probably use it in the meatballs with the sauce too. Sound really yummy, and looks like a rich and creamy sauce!
BTW-I have an award waiting for you on my blog...just check your name on the list!

Karen the Suburbanite said...

This recipe is perfect for my Beat the Winter Blues party- come link up! http://goodbyecityhellosuburbs.blogspot.com