Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sun dried tomato spread

When I went searching for a recipe to share today, the cookbook automatically opened to something sweet! How does that happen? But honestly, the season of continued festive eating, has barely begun and already sweet, is a worn out flavor. Maybe I am eating too much already? Maybe it is responsible behavior and maturity? Say it ain't so!

None the less, there are no cookies
or cake
or fudge
or snacky nibble
or anything sweet in today's post.

I am making that perfectly clear, because the name of this spread is sweet sounding.


In the pink spread
adapted from: Cooking with Sun Dried Tomatoes
by:  Lois Dribin - Denise Marina - Susan Ivankovich

4 oz cream cheese

1/2 c sliced sun dried tomatoes packed in oil OR 5 - 7 whole tomatoes packed in oil
1 large or 2 smaller cloves of garlic ( I coarsely chopped the garlic, before adding to the processor)
1 t balsamic vinegar 
1/4 t salt
1 - 2 T oil from the sun dried tomatoes


Combine everything in food processor,


process until smooth, about 1 minute.


Place in a covered container or your favorite serving dish and refrigerate until ready to serve.


Makes approximately 3/4 - 1 cup spread.

Serve with assorted vegetables, whole grain crackers and thin crusty french bread slices.

Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

As always thanks so much for stopping by!

Sundays are busy, this post is shared with:

Cookbook Sundays @ Brenda's Canadian Kitchen

Sundays at one food club @ cocina diary

Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's Kitchen

Foodie Friday @ designs by gollum

11 comments:

Pam said...

That looks wonderfully easy!

Brenda said...

Melynda, I'm with you! I've had it with sweets and Christmas is still two weeks away. Not that I won't be posting a few more by then, but like I said in my post, I'm craving real food - not sweets. I usually make a buffet of all kinds of appetizers for New Year Eve and this would be perfect. It sounds wonderful, especially with veggies. Thank you so much for sharing with Cookbook Sundays!

Angie said...

Haha...love your comment. I have been baking so many cookies that I am tired of sweets and stearing clear of them until Christmas Eve. For now, savory dishes are really doing it for me :) Thanks for sharing this recipe with Sundays at One Food Club.

LeAnn said...

That sounds awesome. I'll be giving it a try.

girlichef said...

Oh, I love the sound of this spread, Melynda! And I just so happen to have everything to make it...can we say lunch...tomorrow!? YUM! :D

Sage Trifle said...

Yummy, that sounds delicious. I could make a meal off that.

kitchen flavours said...

This spread sounds yummy! I have not seen sun-dried tomatoes in oil sold over here, have looked for these for quite some time! Would really love to give this a try!

I Play Outside The Box said...

FINALLY.....something different for the snackin' table. Thanks for sharing this...I will be making it!!

Elisabeth said...

Melynda-I love the sundried tomato spread, it's so pretty, and pink. I would make a double batch and spread it on bagel...yumm!
I'm new on the Cookbook Sundays, I have not linked it to anyone yet...most likely to members of the club?
I'm following your blog, I really enjoy browsing, and finding new things.
Thank you, for sharing!

MrsJenB said...

Get OUT! How easy and delicious this looks - I haaaave to make this - thanks for the idea!

Visiting from Foodie Friday!

Donnie said...

We eat a lot of crackers and cheese and dips because we have a lot of drop in company and this would be perfect.