Friday, December 3, 2010

Pineapple Raisin Sauce for Ham


It is funny how you will remember, a food memory, from many years gone by. In thinking to myself how I might “market” the December 2010 Culinary Smackdown, without pestering every blogger I know into smithereens, I remembered a sauce my Mom use to make to serve with ham, because it had raisins. I also remember that most of it would be eaten at dinnertime, and only a spoonful was leftover. I usually ate that last little bit, so I could wash the dish.  


Turkey was for Thanksgiving, always. I remember having turkey at Christmas, but I believe that only happened a couple times. Once we had goose, stuffed with apples, prunes and onion quarters. Usually though roast beef was Christmas dinner, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. As much as I love Thanksgiving, two holiday turkey dinners in a row is too much turkey. I have been making a roast beef dinner for years now, and this year we will be having beef and ham. Ham because my new employer generously gives a turkey at Thanksgiving and a ham at Christmas. And we all know, ham needs Pineapple Raisin Sauce!


When I first started worrying that no one would submit an entry for the Smackdown, I remembered that pineapple raisin sauce. I remembered it because of the raisins, not because I can also be an excessive worrier! Like many of the foods cooked and served, Mom did not use a recipe for the sauce. I remember the sauce so vividly; I think I can recreate it in my own kitchen. I know it started with a can of crushed pineapple, including the juice. Then a big handful of raisins, some brown sugar, a bit of cider vinegar. 


The raisins were tender, not chewy. I also remembered that part. Oh and I remember a dash of cloves. I can see the little red and white tin in her hand, then a quick downward shake to get that “dash” to come out of the can. With exception to the raisins, I imagine that the order per say, does not matter.

A quick google for pineapple raisin sauce for ham produces 60,700 results. I was surprised at that number. It appears that a lot of folks eat pineapple raisin sauce with their ham.


(my mom) Mary’s Pineapple Raisin Sauce for Ham

1 c raisins
1 c water
dash salt

1 8 oz can crushed pineapple – do not drain
1 T cider vinegar
1/3  – 1/2 c brown sugar ( if you like a sweeter sauce, use the full measure)
dash cloves

1/4 c water
1 - 2 T corn starch ( I remember Mom’s sauce would stay on your ham!)

Place raisins and water in a medium size saucepan, cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Add the pineapple, vinegar, brown sugar and cloves, return to a simmer. Let simmer while making the slurry.

Combine the cornstarch and water, stirring until smooth. Pour into the simmering fruit in a thin stream, stirring continuously. Cook, until mixture is thickened and transparent. Serve with ham.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello!

Remember to stop by and submit your entry for the December 2010 Culinary Smackdown! There that was not too bad, I still see smithereens way far out there on the horizon! Oh the theme is RAISINS.

This post shared with:

Foodie Friday 

Friday Potluck @ EKat's Kitchen 

fresh clean and pure friday @ la bella vita 

Sundays at one @ cocina diary

Hearth and Soul @ Mom's Sunday Cafe

12 comments:

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Great recipe! I also remember my mother making something like this but she would put it over ham steaks...funny how a food memory can bring back a flood of history. Thanks.

Miz Helen said...

I love that raisin sauce, I think my Mom made the same one. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end.

redmenace said...

It takes a lot of skill to make a lovely sauce. This one sounds amazing. I love adding sweet to savory meat. Yum!

Kate said...

Love the post and especially the sign! Looks like it should be up on my kitchen wall :)

Following you! Hope you'll visit soon.

Kate
xoxo
http://loveiseverywhere.blogspot.com/

Pegasuslegend said...

What a great sauce recipe for Ham going to have to try this! Clauida from Blogs Got Heart! thanks for your visit!

Erin @ EKat's Kitchen said...

YUM! I love finding great sauce recipes to use to Wow my hubby! Thanks for bringing to Friday Potluck this week.

Sage Trifle said...

I have a vague (and favorable) recollection of ham with raisin sauce but I don't know where from. I'm pretty sure my mother never cooked it. Now I'm trying to figure it out. Any way, it sounds delicious and thanks for the memory.

Reeni said...

The sauce sounds delicious! I'd eat that and leave the ham (not a ham eater)! I bet it's good on pork chops too, those I can handle.

Alison @ Welcome Sunshine Home said...

My mom served ham with a spiced pineapple cherry sauce but I bet it'd be great with raisins. I've got something in mind for the Smackdown...

BTW, I'm a new follower. I hope you have a great week! :)
Alison
http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

Kristen said...

Sounds like a great ham sauce. I like a little sweet with the saltiness of the meat.

girlichef said...

Pineapple Raisin sauce? Huh. I don't think I've EVER even heard of a pineapple raisin sauce...but now you've gone and made me want to try it! We always end up eating a ham at Christmas. ...and I always wish I could start the tradition of eating Roast Beef. Why can't we get a good Prime Rib from employers!? ;)

Okay. Battle Raisin. I'll try to think something up! :D

Alea Milham said...

What a delcious combination of flavors in your sauce! I love making homemade sauces and altering them a bit to come up with something new. Thanks for sharing this in time for the holidays! And thank you for being a lovely host of your Sunday cafe and the Hearth and Soul Hop.