Sunday, November 21, 2010

Creamy Polenta, a slow cooker recipe

Another great thing about participating in Cookbook Sunday is paying more attention to those books! They do tend to get ignored, especially with most cooking being done after work and such a simple affair, no recipe is needed. Now that I have given myself permission to simply "grab and go" with any book, it is more enjoyable also. Because I have a Sunday dinner each month, usually with several entree choices, we tend to eat rather simply the rest of the time. Well, after the leftovers are gone!

I am a Polenta fan, having fallen for it during my years working in downtown Vancouver USA. Usually a couple times a month my co-workers and I would go to Andrew's, a small, made from scratch lunch cafe, across the street from the Courthouse.

They served Polenta in many forms, each dish presented was delicious. Andrew's is now closed, the owner has gone on to be a caterer. But my memory of enjoying the food is clear as a bell. I am fortunate to have their cookbook!








I have cooked Polenta the old fashion way, and did just fine. My dutch oven was perfect for that task, no scorching or other problems. But I came across this great technique in The Italian Slow Cooker, and want to give it a try. This is a simple, no stirring way to go.



Creamy, made in part with part whole milk,  and
Parmesan cheese was stirred in before turning out  to cool. I had never used milk as part of the liquid, so this was new for me. The milk makes a softer Polenta.

 


Basic Polenta
adapted from:  The Italian Slow Cooker
by, Michele Scicolone

 
1 c coarsely ground yellow cornmeal, preferably stone ground
1 1/2 t salt


5 c water, or combination of water/broth/milk (I used 2 c milk, 3 c water)

In a large slow cooker, stir together cornmeal, salt and water/combination of liquids.


Cover and cook 2 hours on high.

Stir the polenta.

If too thick, add a little milk, water or broth. Cook for 30-60 minutes more or until thick and creamy. Serve hot.

Variations:  use all broth, stir in 2 T olive oil before serving, stir in 1/2 c grated cheese before serving. You may mold the Polenta in a shallow pan for slicing and browning, if desire.

Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

As always thanks for stopping to visit, I appreciate your time.

this post is being shared with:

Cookbook Sundays @ Brenda's Canadian Kitchen

11 comments:

Donata said...

argh! No more polenta for us...it's wrestling season!

Hoosier at Heart said...

I have never made or even eaten polenta. The texture kinda freaks me out. I may just give it a try though since you made it look really easy!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Yum! I may have to give that a try. I love polenta. So good.

~ Lyndsay The Kitchen Witch said...

I have always wanted to try polenta - this since I had a disaster with it way back in the day and never got to find out what it was actually supoosed to taste like :-)

Elisabeth said...

I love polenta...did not know there is an Italian slow cooker method. I'm sure this could be prepared in an American slow cooker, if done properly.
Thanks for sharing!

Sage Trifle said...

Interesting. Who knew you could cook potenta in a slow cooker. So how did it turn out compared to the conventional cooking method?

Miriam said...

How interesting :) You now, I lived in Italy and I ate TONS of homemade food there but never homemade polenta, the ready made kind is always used over there. I'll have to try this. Have a great day! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Reeni said...

Love this easy crockpot recipe! I eat a ton of polenta in the winter - so warming and hearty!

ceodraiocht said...

Love polenta and will try this. One of the packages of polenta we can get has an oven recipe right on it that looks similar In the oven method - it's good but not cremy. I use it when I'll be slicing and cooking with a sauce (aka a lasagne set up). If this with milk comes out creamy, I'll be doing a happy dance!
Thanks for sharing,
Maggie

Couscous & Consciousness said...

I love polenta, but never would have thought to cook it in my crockpot - definitely one to try :-)

Brenda said...

Your polenta looks incredibly delicious - far better than the polenta I made. Once. LOL! Yours has such a creamy texture. Mine was just....weird. I'd be willing to give it another try if it came out like yours. Thank you so much for linking up to Cookbook Sundays and I apologize for taking so long to visit you. I hope you have a great week!