Sunday, November 14, 2010

Graham Cracker Muffins


When I first joined Cookbook Sundays, my own mindset was unaware of how simple the whole process could be! I though my post would have to be big and beautiful and beyond what we eat on a regular basis. But soon I realized my own thinking process was flawed, and that all I need do is grab a book, cook, post.
Easy, just like 1, 2, 3.

Love my old food mill, being used to hold small fruits and vegetables

and this pottery colander, used for garlic and onions. (sorry I could not resist sharing these!)

This Sunday I have granddaughter here for a sleepover, and immediately muffins came to mind. A quick check and the perfect recipe was right there, Graham Cracker Muffins. Everyone here loves graham crackers, especially Olivia.

Graham Cracker Muffins
adapted from:  Mostly Muffins
Barbara Albright & Leslie Weiner
400 degree oven

1 c flour
1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c wheat germ
1/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c sugar
1 1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

1 c buttermilk

1 egg
1/3 c oil
1/3 c molasses

1/2 c raisins - optional (I did not use)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin, set aside.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisk to combine.


 
Combine egg, oil and molasses in small bowl, whisk to combine and beat egg.


Add wet group and milk to dry group. Mix well. Batter is thin. Divide batter between tins equally.


Bake 15 - 20 minutes, or until tests done in your oven. Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes, loosen muffins from sides of tin and turn on to their sides to release steam. Makes 12.


Serve with:

Brown sugar Cinnamon Butter
4 T soft butter
1 T brown sugar
1/8 t cinnamon
Set this up to soften while the muffins bake.

Combine well, making sure no streaks of butter are present, serve with muffins.



Grandma tested, granddaughter approved!

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop by.

this post shared with:
Cookbook Sundays @ Brenda's Canadian Kitchen
Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's Kitchen

9 comments:

LeAnn said...

The recipe looks good. The nice story of making muffins for your granddaughter is awesome too. I agree that blogging about what you are actually doing is much more interesting.

Brenda said...

Melynda, that's so funny because I had the same mindset as you at first. I would STRESS each week over what to post for Cookbook Sundays. I thought because I started it, it had to be awesome and amazing. Why, I have no idea. Not anymore. I grab a cookbook, flip through, find something yummy and make it! Easy. :o) I've never heard of graham cracker muffins, I bet they're delicious! We love graham crackers here too. Adorable pic of your granddaughter and thank you so much for sharing at Cookbook Sundays!

Sage Trifle said...

Those look delicious and healthful--the perfect thing to make for a beloved granddaughter. It sure looks like Olivia is enjoying them. I just love their little hands, don't you?

nancycreative said...

Those sound really good and healthy, too ! I love graham crackers, so I'm sure I would love these!

Hoosier at Heart said...

Those look so yummy! I've been on a muffin kick lately. I made doughnut muffins yesterday morning and will probably try the graham cracker ones next weekend. Great post.

kitchen flavours said...

Graham Cracker Muffins sounds good! Your grand-daughter is very cute. Linking up with Cookbook Sundays is fun. I'm always baking something from my many cookbooks, so it is great to link up, many thanks to Brenda!

Paula said...

what a great blog!
here is so many inspirations,

have a nice time,
Paula

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Oh yes, the angst of a new blogger - I think I still have that a lot of the time - I still feel like a post has to be a major production. Guess things have got a little better though - it used to take me a whole week to churn out a post (agonising over every single word and re-reading it about a hundred times over), whereas I can get one out usually over 2 days now - that's progress right :-)

Anyway, all that aside, your muffins look great and your granddaughter is quite adorable.

Sue

Reeni said...

I love the sound of these - the cinnamon butter makes them all the more special! I bet your granddaughter loved them!