Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cinnamon Flats

In our kitchen, we have a couple of changes that need to be brought to the attention of someone.

OK, one is actually a show-off, which I intend to bring to your attention, as a way to show appreciation to Honey. He took my suggestion and ran with it. The other item is the fact that we have an empty cookie jar, and I must do something about that! First lets start with the kitchen hutch.

Once there was a little kitchen that had no counters, this proved to be quite a problem for the cook, who loves all of her stuff, and she has a lot of stuff. One day the cook was scanning craigslist for something, anything that would improve the counterless conditions. And she found a 1960's built in dining room "hutch", that had been removed in a remodel.

It was a good deal (financially), had lots of storage, and was ready to use now, with very little work. Done deal. Love the hutch, the storage capacity and being able to put out my pantry items in jars and have immediate access. I was so proud, I even submitted the whole thing to Perfect Pantry, and my little hutch was showcased that Saturday, it was great!


This photo from when we first brought the hutch home, everything is different now.


But we did not increase the counter space in any way. 

I then began to realize that the counter space issue was head on and a problem. What to do, what to do. I had suggested to Honey that we hang the shelf portion (this unit is like most, it is two sections) on the wall. "No that was not a good idea, very heavy with all the stuff". My verbal reply was "OK" my silent thoughts were, "and why not?".

Fast forward a year or so and still the counter space issue is so bad, I am now searching once again to see if there is a different something, anything  that could be found to take the place of this hutch and offer the needed counter space. And then it hit me, legs. I know sometimes the simplest things take the longest time to understand. I proposed my idea, and here we have our hutch, with counter option:

Thanks, Honey!

We did add a support board to the wall (behind) and after the upper portion was where it needed to be, this  section was screwed into that support. It is so nice to have an area to place cooked food on a trivet, out of the way and keep working. Also it comes in real handy on Sunday Cafe, Sundays. Love, love love it!

And now on to the cookies. We are having rain here in Vancouver USA and it is cold. Cold outside calls for a spicy cookies inside. Lets make Cinnamon Flats. Cinnamon is a favorite flavor of, you guessed it - Honey. Well cinnamon, right after chocolate! 

Cinnamon Flats
350 degree oven

1/3 c butter
1/4 c coconut oil 
3/4 c sugar

1 egg
1 t vanilla*

1 2/3 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt 
3/4 - 1 t cinnamon - if you love cinnamon, use the full teaspoon measure.

1/2 t cinnamon - you can also add more here!
3 T sugar
Mix these together, set aside until needed.



In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and coconut oil. Beat in the sugar, beat until creamy and the sugar has begun to melt into the shortening. Add the egg and vanilla, beat until creamy.

Add the flour, baking powder, salt and Cinnamon, mix on low until dough is even, with no wet or dry pockets. 


Using a large cookie scoop or a spoon, drop dough into sugar mixture, roll around in the bowl to coat with the cinnamon mixture. The dough balls should be about 1 inch in size.


Place dough on sheet, and flatten lightly with a cookie stamp or potato masher. 


Bake 15-18 minutes, or until done in your oven.



Let cool on sheet, 7 - 10 minutes, remove to rack of towel to cool completly.


Makes 15 large cookies.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)


* to make cinnamon extract, put cinnamon sticks in a small jar (or large jar if you want to make a lot!) and cover with vodka. When it is brown in color and smells like heaven, it is done. We have a jar going now and I want to use some in this recipe the next time I bake for Honey or even me, cause I love cinnamon too.

As always, thanks for stopping to say hello, I love having visitors!

This post is shared with:

Seasonal Saturday @ la bella vita

Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's Kitchen

Tuesday Night Supper Club @ fudge ripple

This post is being submitted for:
12 days of bloggie-mas 5 cookies @ a moderate life.

13 comments:

Bo said...

The potato masher is a great idea.

☺lani☺ said...

I agree! very nice presentation, thanks for sharing! Happy Week ahead!

Brenda said...

I love the potato masher idea!! Brilliant. I wish I had thought of it. :o) And I love your space and how organized you are!! I only dream of being that organized......

Torviewtoronto said...

beautiful cookies
delicious
check out the event in my site

Laraine Eddington said...

These look delicious. After I eat the pan of pumpkin bars w/cream cheese frosting that I just made...I intend to try them! (If I haven't overdosed on fat and sugar by then)

Julie said...

Those cookies look lovely. I need one of those cookie stampers :)

kitchen flavours said...

I love your hutch! I was actually looking for one as I do not have enough of space for all my spices and sauces! Still searching, hopefully will find one like yours! Love the idea of the potato masher too!

Sage Trifle said...

What a good idea, adding legs to the hutch to open up the space. It looks very nice and I would never know that was an alteration to the original piece.

You cinnamon cookies sound very good and look so pretty.

Joanne said...

Empty cookie jars are a serious problem. These cinnamon flats sound delicious. I'm a big cinnamon lover as well!

grace said...

I am on my way over for cookies. They look fantastic . Thanks for visitng me at my blog and your comment.

Hoosier at Heart said...

I love your hutch and what you've done with it. Also I'm going to have to get me one of those cookie stamps! Too cute! By the way, I'm stalking.....I mean following you too.

LeAnn said...

The hutch looks nice, but I'm particularly impresses by how tidy and organized it looks - all the jars lined up and handy.

Reeni said...

Like everyone else I am loving the potato masher idea! Genius. And the cookies sound scrumptious too! Hooray - for the new counter space!