Saturday, November 20, 2010

My philosophy on cookies, and a request

Cookies, cookies and more cookies. Is there any other time of year, for such a cookie buzz? At Christmas time, cookie plates are a tradition, and I love tradition! Cookie exchanges have been around and enjoyed for years. They are also a good idea, for two reasons. It is fun to get together with friends and family, especially other folks just as busy as you are. And this is a great way to visit and accomplish something in the process, not that simply visiting, would not be enough! Think of a cookie exchange as an current day, quilting bee, only involving food. Specifically cookies.

Make sure you are stocked with all the supplies you will need for cookie day!

Currently the 12 weeks of cookies blog hop can be joined here. Avril is an avid blogger and from the photos on her site, a serious cook, as well! Then there is the cookie baker extraordinaire, Rocquie makes thousands of cookies every year. She shares all that right here on her blog Sage Trifle.  Many years ago I hosted a cookie exchange of the usual type, where everyone brings a dozen (baked) cookies for each of the attending, and we all trade. Then a couple of years ago I hit upon the idea of a cookie exchange of a different kind. The idea of making the dough and sharing was good in theory, but not in practice, only because of available space. However.......

I still like the idea of a cookie exchange for homemade cookie dough. But this year I think we will bring prepared and pre-portioned dough, for exchanging.  This way the dough is easily stored while we visit and get caught up with one another. The dough, when taken home, may be baked or stored as needed. The result? Fresh cookies, as needed. I believe "fresh cookies, as needed" is my new obsession. I am not obsessed with cookies or eating cookies. I am obsessed with the production of homemade cookies, and the ability to bake a small batch, or a single sheet of cookies as needed. Has anyone else noticed the continued use of cookies and need, in the same thought or sentence? Maybe eating them is my obsession............



When I look through some of my older cookbooks, my current obsession is not new. Cooks, Moms and Grandmothers have been devising ways to have fresh, homemade cookies on demand for many years. Slice and bake cookies come to mind, immediately. This product now available in the dairy case at your local market, was invented by Mom. With current appliances, frozen cookie dough works well also. You can make the dough, divide into as many portions as the insists the recipe makes (sorry I had to use the word insist, I never seem to get that many cookies) and freeze. If you use a square or rectangle container or shape, all you do is thaw (in the fridge during the day, works great), cut into 12 equal pieces, pinch the corner a bit to round the edges, and bake. I even wrote about that here , and it works great too.

I have even made dough, scooped it into balls, rolled in sugar or cinnamon sugar for a bit more spice, then froze the balls on a cookie sheet. When cookies are needed or dessert or to take a plate over to someone in need (hmmm, that word again), you simple place your cookie balls on a prepared cookie sheet and when the oven is ready, bake them up. A wonderful side benefit of cookie dough in the freezer instead of already baked cookies is space, dough takes up a lot less space. Freezer space is expensive in this household!





And now for the request, what are your cookie tips? Have you come up with more and or better ideas for fresh cookies as needed? If you have please share with me, for I am but a poor yet hard working cookie loving woman in search of cookie happiness! I can't wait for this years cookie (dough) exchange.

As always thanks for stopping by and playing along! I appreciate it.

8 comments:

Bo said...

Exchanging cookie dough is a great idea!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Mmm cookies! I love cookies!! My only tips are to get a decent cookie scooper. Makes portioning for freezing or just baking easy. I also recommend investing in professional grade baking sheets. I got mine from a restaurant supply house for $9 ea. They last at least 4-5 years before I need to replace them. They heat evenly, retain heat very well and I've not burned a bottom since I got them :) Happy cookie baking!

Hoosier at Heart said...

I love cookies but I hardley ever make them, I don't know why. I do a lot of baking but hardly ever cookies. One thing I do know though, whenever I've used parchment paper, I've never burnt the bottoms. I need cookies now.

LeAnn said...

It does feel like cookie making time. I have to be careful to have a plan for the cookies before I make them, though. Lord knows Husband and I don't need too many around us. Fortunately, people are glad to receive them.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

I like the idea of a cookie dough exchange. Your ideas for having cookie dough on demand are great. I like to store my dough in a log in the freezer and just slice off the amount needed.

Reeni said...

I like your idea of trading cookie dough instead of already baked cookies! I don't make a lot of cookies so sadly I have no tips to offer.

Pam said...

I have no good tips, and I am stealing all of yours!

Sage Trifle said...

Melynda, thank you for the kind words. Right now my mind is all over the fact that I have a hoard of out of town guests coming for Thanksgiving. After that, I'll get back with you on cookies! It will be cookie baking time and I love baking cookies!